To Mr. Wrong

To Mr. Wrong

I fell and you didn't catch me

13
To Mr. Wrong
Robert Biu

I've always prided myself in being a good judge of character, but you were the exception. I was cautious and careful because the last thing I needed was to get hurt. I trusted you when there were no grounds to build that trust upon. I fell for you and you didn't catch me.

The signs were all there. Cancelling at the last minute, changing up plans and making excuse after excuse should have stopped me dead in my tracks. I wish I would have seen it sooner. My friends saw right through your act and tried to convince me to run away as fast as I could. I couldn't see it.

There was something enticing about you. I don't know if it was your soft eyes or the joy I felt hearing your laughter. It could have been the way you looked at me as if we were the only two people in the world. There was something romantic about seeing my reflection in your eyes illuminated by the soft glow of the moon. I don't know if it was the way you ran your hand through your hair or your effortless charm, but you had me hooked from the start.

You showered me with compliments and I feel foolish to have believed you. We argued over who would pay the bill and somehow you always won. You treated me to chivalry and affection. For once, I felt taken care of, but I couldn't see through it all.

You used me for attention. I was a toy to play with and toss away. I meant every word I said and you were reciting scripted lines. The whole ordeal was almost like a game to see how far you could get into my mind and then run away as fast as you could.

I was certain that you were my forever. Every word you said was perfect and was said at just the right time. But you were good at convincing people that you are someone you are not. You schmoozed and wiggled your way into my life when I was least expecting it. I can see now how flawed it was from the beginning. A toxic relationship doomed from the start.

Although, you were my Mr. Wrong, one day I hope you find a girl to hold onto. Someone who will capture your heart just like you captured mine. I hope that you find happiness instead of stealing it away from others. One day I hope you turn into Mr. Right for someone and promise to stay. And when the right girl falls for you I hope you'll catch her, even though you didn't catch me.