Moving In With Your Significant Other

Moving In With Your Significant Other

There are a million emotions when moving in with your 'person'

16
Moving In With Your Significant Other
Cosmopolitan

Moving in with a significant other is always a big step no matter how old you are. Taking the next step in your relationship and not just spending the night together here and it is a lot different than actually living under the same roof 24/7.

Some things will be easier than you think that they will be and some will be harder. Adjusting to one another and most likely spending the more time together than you have in the past can be difficult, but here are some rules to follow when you are moving in together.

Know the strengths and weaknesses of each other

This means, who is going to be the one who is the messiest and who is the clean freak, who stays up late and who has to get up early or even how you do the dishes. These are some of the simplest things that people never think of when they are moving in together, but discussing these can save a lot of stress down the road.

M-O-N-E-Y

Even if you are getting help from your parents still in college or you are a younger couple that lives paycheck to paycheck. Being honest about your money situation with each other not only makes you feel more secure about paying bills on time, but you might realize that you both get paid on opposite weeks which could help with groceries/fun activities.

At the same time, don’t combine your money at this time. Make sure that you both have a clear understanding of who is paying what and when these accounts are due.

Chores around the house and who is going to do them?

The stereotype is that girls usually clean the house, which is wrong. Sitting down with one another and making a schedule to who is going to clean which room every week or who is going to do each task per day. Arguing about who is going to vacuum once you’ve already moved in is unneeded stress and can be avoided.

Compromise

Even though you might think that it will be easy and knock on wood it is! But sometimes your significant other won't agree with you hanging a million posters of your favorite artist/band all over the walls or even the bedding you choose. Decide together on these and let your significant other choose some things and you can choose some too!

If something upsets you, don’t be passive about it!

If your significant other makes you upset by leaving their towels on the ground or doesn’t throw away their food. Realize that they’re adjusting to living with someone new and they might have done that at their old place. Talking about these issues instead of suppressing them can help you two live your healthy life and communicate with one another.

Still have your social lives

Moving in with your significant other doesn’t mean that you have to spend every second with them. Still seeing your friends and your family on a usual basis can help you be even more excited to go home to them and not be a hermit!

Realize that there will be bumps in the road

The both of you are living in tight quarters and might argue a little more than usual. THIS IS NORMAL. Living with someone new takes some time for adjusting and arguing is part of being in a serious relationship. What matters most is how you handle the arguing between one another.

Most of all, have fun with moving in with your significant other because this is a huge step.