Moving Pains On Move-in Day

Moving Pains On Move-in Day

Move in day can be stressful, especially with unexpected injuries!

9
Moving Pains On Move-in Day
BlogSpot

I have officially survived the first week of classes in my final year as an undergraduate student. It is hard to believe that the first three years have gone by so fast. Because my hardest year is behind me, it is smooth sailing through my Senior year. But of course there are those things that you have to deal with no matter which year you are graduating, like move in day.

Move in day was relatively painless this year (I will come back to the relatively). I do live seven hours away from school, so I made the trip over the day before, then moved in the next day. It is a lot to have to drive seven hours and move in the same day.

I made the trip alone. It seemed that every year my parents had different opinions about coming out with me and helping me move. It is a long trip though, I wouldn't want to make the trip for two days either. I was lucky though; my roommate's parents came along, and helped me move the remainder of my things from my car to my room (and it was the heavy stuff). Thank goodness for a dolly.

It took me the whole day to unpack my things, either because it was a lot of stuff, I had no idea where to put things, or I was just slow. I got it done in a day though, and didn't have to worry about it the first week.

Then another friend came along to move in. I had arrived earlier to beat the rush of people, and she had arrived after the rush. So, being a good friend, I helped her unload her car. I was carrying the last box inside for her when I got sandwiched between another person and the wall. It was then that the pain actually happened.

The door frames in my building jut out from the wall about an inch. Apparently, I was a lot closer to the wall than I thought I was. I hit the wall with my hand, and the pain was so bad that I didn't start to feel it for about ten minutes. I had hit the wall so hard that I thought I broke my hand. I then looked down at it, and what a lovely sight it was.

The first thing that I saw was white. The skin had been ripped clean from my had so deep that the next layer was visible. The rest of it then began to swell. So, after I got my hand under control, I did sanitation, ice, compression, the usual. It is now a lovely shade of blue, but it is healing rather nicely.

Move in day can be eventful. Obviously mine was, and I hope no one else almost broke their hand on a wall while moving in. Avoid the walls at all cost, it could save your hands! If you have yet to move in, good luck. If you have started school already, good luck this year!