Moving Is Hard, But Not Impossible

Moving Is Hard, But Not Impossible

Being at a new place made me feel incredibly lost. But this time around, I'm ready.

261

After living in the same place for my entire life (18 years at the time), my family moved. It wasn't just another house; it was an entirely different state. Even though Indiana isn't far from Michigan, it was far enough to affect me.

Mainly because I don't deal well with change.

I never have. I'm the person who orders the same thing every time I go to a restaurant. I don't want to try something new when it comes to something that doesn't need to be changed. For example, I like to learn new things, but I don't like sitting in a new seat because someone took mine.

Moving right after graduating high school was difficult because I never wanted to go 'home'… I just wanted to go home. I wanted to be able to go to alumnae events at my high school. Or go to my friends' grad parties.

Being at this new place made me feel incredibly lost. I didn't know how to get to the local grocery store, even though it was only a five-minute drive away. I didn't have any friends that I could visit. It was a culture shock that I wasn't ready for.

Unfortunately, I also had to realize that some stores/restaurants are only in certain locations. The closest California Pizza Kitchen is in Kentucky. That's not okay.

This time around, I'm ready. My family is moving to Florida. The best advice I received about my fear of moving, was to embrace it. I've already visited the area we will be moving to. I can navigate my way around because I asked my parents to help me adjust. Instead of being in denial, I have accepted the fact that Indiana will no longer be my home base.

I don't know where my career will take me or where I will move to after college, but the way I am meeting change head-on makes me feel more prepared for my future. Moving isn't easy, but at least change is getting easier for me.