5 Tips For Those Moving Out For The First Time

The first steps to adulthood.
78

You have to make so many decisions when you transition into adulthood. One of them is moving out and getting your first place. It’s more than just packing your stuff and leaving there’s a lot of planning and strategizing to it. I’m twenty years old and currently in the finance process of the whole thing. I'm moving into my apartment next summer since I'll be taking a summer semester. I figure since I was going to move in the fall, I might as well start the process three months early. I didn’t jump into this one day, a lot of work and time has been dedicated to this and I’m gonna let you in on a few things.

1. Plan.

When you feel like it’s time to get your own place, plan out when you want to move. Figure out a timeline for yourself and make a schedule from everything you need to do from starting the process to the day you move in.

2. Research.

Looking for an apartment or a house is a long and strenuous process. Research places in your budget. Know about the amount of rent, the deposit, the cost of amenities. Are you gonna live in a four-bedroom or a double duplex?

3. Start saving.

The average rent for an apartment by campus is around $455 a month. Plus there’s stuff like the water bill, cable, groceries. And that’s just a third of your budget set-up. Get a job for the summer or part-time during the year to save on money because living on your own is expensive.

4. Make the deposits.

There’s a rough check list about what you gotta pay before you move into your new place. There’s the application fee and the deposit. Then there’s the first and last month’s rent.

5. Make the move.

After all that stuff is done, you finally get to move into your apartment. This is the hard part. You got to pack your things and rent a truck or get it all in your car. Then there’s get everything set-up once all the boxes are in. It feels like you’re moving into your college dorm and spend the day putting up all your things.

It really sounds like a lot but trust me, moving into your first place is the one of the most exciting and fun experience of life.