10 Things You Should Know Before Moving Into Your First College Apartment

Everything a college senior wish they knew after renting their first place.

311
Rochelle Nicole

Moving into your first college apartment is an exciting experience, especially when you’ve been cooped up in the dorms for two years! You’re most likely looking at this article because you are planning on snagging your first apartment, but don’t know where to begin. No worries, there’s no need to look elsewhere because below is a list of things you should keep in mind when you go on the hunt for your new humble abode!

1. Be clear with your roommates about your expectations of cleanliness

Different standards of cleanliness can ruin even the best of friendships. Be clear with your roommates over what you expect your shared living space to look like. This can help eliminate a lot of arguments with your friends! Calmly and kindly tell them if you have a problem if they are not clean, a lot can be solved with clear communication.

2. Invest in a high-powered fan

If you have ever lived beneath anyone in an apartment building, you must be aware that it is noisy. Now, triple that noise because you are in a college town. The chances the people above you wear lead shoes and have a clumsy habit of dropping their bowling ball is high. So always opt for the top floor. Even if you do get a unit on the top floor, be aware that there is still going to be noisy neighbors and even roommates. Let’s not forget about all the drunk people stumbling home after the bars close. White noise can drown out your over sexually active roommate and the boy next door who plays video games on full volume.

3. Make sure to write down every damage you can that is visible in your apartment.

It is important to take photos of this as well. The rental companies will try to drain you of every penny you have, even if the damage is pre-existing. You need proof it wasn’t your fault.

4. Make a google doc with your roommates

This way you can figure out who is bringing what and you won’t be overstocked with random pots and pans and your great grandma’s china. When you live with three other people you don’t all need to bring everything you own.

5. Read the lease thoroughly and understand what you are signing before you put your name on the dotted line

For all you could know, the fine print says the reality company can have your first-born child. It’s important you read over the details and ask questions about things you don’t understand.

6. Rent from actual realtors in the community, not the big-name college apartment companies

The majority of the time, the large companies are overcharging you for a place that is falling apart. You will also come to find it’s much cheaper to live in units outside of these places as well.

7. Get to know your neighbors

This can be handy in a few ways. Say they were ever having a party and you had a test the next morning? If you knew them, you can skip the whole step of filing a noise complaint to the police department and just ask them to turn the music down. The chances are if they know you and they are your friends, they’ll actually do it. So, if you ever decide to have a group of people over and the neighbors think you’re too loud? The same rules apply. We can all avoid drinking tickets here, it’s pretty cool how that works.

8. You don’t need the nicest newest apartment

Our college years for some of us are the most financially barren years of our lives. You might be taking out a student loan that already is gathering a huge debt under your name. That isn’t just monopoly money my friends, those dollar signs add up and fast. After you graduate your loans begin to accumulate interest, and the more money you owe the more interest they will gain. So, keep your spending to a minimum. Save the nice big apartment for when you’ve landed your dream job and you can afford it.

9. When you move out, leave the place looking better than it did when you moved it

It’s important that your apartment is spotless when you leave. This will not only be helpful for the new people moving in, but it keeps the rental companies from having any reason to keep your security deposit. Don’t leave those old pictures of your ex in the drawer because you don’t want them anymore, just throw them away.

10. Watch your utility usage

Some apartments include utility costs, while others don't. Even if your apartment does include this, you can still go over! use your electricity and water sparingly, not only is it bad for the environment but it will empty your pockets if you overuse. There's a reason your mom always yells at you to turn off the light when you leave a room!

These are the tips I wish I knew before moving into my first place, and hopefully, they help you! Good luck my friends!