Moving Back Home for the Summer

When you move back home from college there is a lot of stress and a lot of relief. School is over, now it is time for vacations and road trip, homemade food from mom and a nice summer job to get a bit of extra cash. But the first time you move back home there are a few surprises you might find. From talking to friends who have had the same experience I have decided that almost every college student that goes home for the summer will have the same issues.

The first thing you will run into is the move home. You will be surprised what that tiny space of your dorm room actually held! I had to take my fathers big truck to move me out the first year until I wised up and did two trips the next! All I can say is to pack as small as you can and to remember that most places only give you a half hour to move things out to your car! So pack early and pack well!

The second thing you will find is that you have changed, and so has your family during the time you are away. Everyone will try to fit into their old routine with you home again, and sometimes that will just not work anymore. There will also be times where you see that you have grown so much and you did not even notice!

I remember when I first came home I often just made plans with friends and I would go to pick them up or they would be at the door and as I was saying goodbye to my parents I would be stopped. This happened about four times before my parents and I realized after being away at school I adjusted to not having to tell them where I was 24/7, or even asking permission to leave the house to do things. It was an adjustment and one we both realized just need a bit more understanding on both sides to resolve.

Then you will most likely find two things out that summer, you love your parents as much as they love you and you do not want to live with them for the rest of your life. I love my parents and summers home are something I look forward to. I do not have to cook every day, I get to see them and my brother everyday, I am away from the college town in a place where I can get food at midnight if I want!

But by the time summer ends I am happy to return. I want to learn and see my friends from college again, and live with the most independance I can. I love my parents and I love living on my own, and summer break is good.