10 Things Movies Get Totally Wrong About College

Frat parties are actually really gross 90% of the time.

5813

When you're younger and watching movies about college, it can appear to be one of the most awesome and freakin' crazy time of your life. While college is super fun and a huge test of your freedom, it mostly involves wearing the same stained outfit for three days, stress-eating, and watching dog videos on youtube to feel just the briefest gleam of happiness.

While movies about college get some things right, here's the stuff they don't show:

1. Frat parties are not as awesome as they appear

If you're lucky, you're friends with the people in the frat so you have someone to talk to or you're drunk enough to actually enjoy it. 90% of the time you're just trying to navigate your way to the bar only to find out that they're fresh out of margarita mix and you're stuck with a nasty keystone light.

The floors are stickier than the underside of a 1st grader's desk and they pack so many people into a basement that you feel like you've just set foot into the Louisiana swamplands. But, hey, sometimes they can be fun.

2. Sororities are not like cults

It may seem like they're cultish during their rush when they all dress the same and are entirely focused on their sorority but, overall, sorority girls are awesome people. They look like they have their life together more than I do and I can't believe how pretty they are sometimes.

Since I'm not in a sorority, I can't really confirm whether or not it's actually not like a cult but, from what I can tell, they seem like pretty normal people.

3. People don't play frisbee all the time

You will only see people playing frisbee if they're a first-year and it's the first day of school. Nerds.

4. You're doing more work than socializing

Believe it or not, you'll actually have to do work during college. While you'll be doing a lot of socializing, you'll mostly be holed up in the library during the week. The more work you do, the more you can enjoy socializing with friends. If the balance is off and you're partying more than working, kiss your GPA away my friends.

5. There's not that much drama

This isn't high school. You won't be surrounded by the same 300 people for four years. While there may be drama in a friend group, it's not going to explode like how it did in high school.

Truthfully, no one really cares if Becky kissed Jason last night and that it was a super crappy thing for her to do because you told her that you have a huge crush on him last Friday when you both were blasted off of $5 Kroger wine. Just focus on yourself.

6. People actually have no idea what they're doing

While you may go to college thinking you're a Biology major, by the end of your first year you may hate it and would rather take a pen to an eye socket than learn the chemical structure of another protein. Even when you do figure out a major you like, you may have no idea what you're going to do as a career (haha me).

College kids in movies seem to have it so figured out, but ask any ACTUAL college kid what they're doing with their future and sit back, relax, and watch an entire mental breakdown happen before your eyes.

7. You will have at least one mental breakdown

It might be about your college major, your future career, or that you have three tests and four papers due in one week — you WILL breakdown at least once during college.

No one has it all together. And guess what? It's OK to cry. I've cried in the Starbucks line more times than I can count. What college movies don't show is how much stress a college student is actually under.

8. There's no liquor at frat parties

Alright so there may be some liquor at a frat party but the only way to get it is if you 1. Get there early enough. 2. Know a brother. or 3. You steal it. Most of the time you will be drinking light beer that tastes more like piss than alcohol.

9. You will be stressed out. A lot.

This goes along well with the mental breakdown point. At one point in your college career, you're going to be doing more work than you think is humanly possible. And you're probably right, it's not humanly possible to do all the work but you somehow manage to do it. College is stressful. It's not all fun and games like the movies portray it to be.

10. People are generally friendly and there are no cliques

There's not an explicit nerd group, a bro group, or a rich girls group. People tend to hang out with people who share the same interests or lifestyles but that doesn't mean that they don't branch out. I have friends from all walks of life and all of them are amazing.

Don't seclude yourself to a particular category, make as many friends as you can or find one person that'll be your best friend forever. Most people are friendly! Try out groups you'd never think to go for before and make friends all over grounds.

College is awesome. It may not be as awesome as the movies depict it, but it's still one of the best times of your life, it just involves a lot more crying and worrying than you'd think. But, the best part of college is that you grow. You may have no idea about what you're going to do after college but you will grow into the person that you're supposed to become and that's so cool.