5 Movies to Watch Over Spring Break

5 Movies to Watch Over Spring Break

Counting days till class starts again? Say no to that and say hello to a more fun adventure with movies!

12
5 Movies to Watch Over Spring Break
Promotional poster for "Inglorious Basterds." Courtesy of StaticFlickr

Movies are amazing. That's a fact, one that remains even truer throughout long periods of rest. With this spring break coming, here are 5 movies you should watch to both have fun and learn more about different genres.

1. Stand By Me (1986)

The 4 protagonists of "Stand by me"

Alphacoders

Let's start off with a classic. "Stand by me" is a coming-of-age movie made 33 years ago. It is an adaption of Stephen King's 1982 classic, "The Body." The story revolves around 4 boys trying to find the body of a boy recently killed in an accident. "Stand by me" is a heartwarming tale of friendship, adventure, and relationships. It reminds us of the people in our lives and how they each played their own tune in our melody. It is also powerful reminder of friendship and how fragile it can be under the pressures of time.

Plus, who wouldn't want to watch one of the best movies of the 80s?

2. Dunkirk (2017)

The promotional cover art for Dunkirk

Static Flickr

Fast forward a few decades and we have Nolan's next big work: "Dunkirk." His newest movie is set during World War II, during the mass evacuation of English soldiers off the French city of Dunkirk. The movie is a cinematic feast, focusing solely on visual storytelling as well as immersive sound effects (that equates to realistic volumes for certain noises like gunfire). The movie is an instant hit due to its amazing atmosphere and suspense, keeping the audience at the edge of their seats at all times.

Though a story is close to being non-existent, the cinematography perfectly portrays the dark times of the war, feeding into a more truthful experience.

3. Inglorious Basterds (2009)

Buongiorno and say hello to one of Brad Pitt's best movies, "Inglorious Basterds." Yes, the word is spelled incorrectly intentionally. This movie is actually a Tarantino parody of the original 1978 Italian movie "The Inglorious Bastards," but it is anything but a carbon copy. The dark-humored movie was its own work of art, featuring an interesting multi-perspective form of storytelling. It also feautres some of the most memorable casts with Brad Pitt as Lt. Aldo Raine, David Fassbender as Lt. Archie Hicox, and Christoph Waltz as Col. Hans Landa.

This Oscar-winning comedy will surely make your spring break complete.

4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Interested in romance? Something with flashbacks? A lot of flashbacks, you say? Then get ready for "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" (ESSM). Other than having the longest title I have ever seen for a movie, ESSM is a storytelling masterpiece. Utilizing nonlinear narratives, ESSM was able to retell the love story of Joel and Clementine from their broken shards to when they first fell in love. In my opinion, such form of storytelling makes the concept of love more beautiful as it portrays love in its purest form: attraction.

So, if you're looking to cry your eyes out this spring break, ESSM is your chicken soup.

5. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Where do I even begin with this movie? I know! At the start menu! "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" (SPvTW) is a video game-themed romantic comedy. Within the movie, references to role-playing elements constantly make appearances, even to the point of lame NPC dialogues (yes, they're in the movie, and they're priceless)! SPvTW is a fantastic homage to old video games and corny dialogues of the past decades. It portrays unrealistic yet strangely relatable relationships, both in friendship and romantic relationship.

Looking to chill out with your loved one? This classic romcom has you covered.