Movies Everyone Should See Once

21 Movies Everyone Should See At Least Once In Their Life

From one movie junkie to another.

1694

I consider myself quite the movie junkie and have decided to configure a list of twenty-one movies I think everyone should see at least once. Some of these movies have influenced my life and how I see the world, some I just love merely because I am fascinated with the cinematography, writing, storyline, or the brain of the creators.

Here are 21 movies everyone should see:

1. "The Breakfast Club"

This movie is an absolute classic. John Hughes, the movie's director, is a classic 80s icon. On top of that, this movie has an incredible message and will impact the way you view the world around you-- or for me it did, at least.

2. "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"

This movie stars Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet with appearances from Kirsten Dunst and Elijah Wood. This movie is an emotional one-- with a trippy twist. This is a strange role for Jim Carrey, but, in my opinion, one of his best performances. People I have made watch this movie either love it or they hate it. It is personally one of my absolute favorites.

3. "Interview with the Vampire"

Starring a young Brad Pitt, Kirsten Dunst, Tom Cruise, and Antonio Banderas-- this movie is worth the watch. It is based on a series of books by Anne Rice that was really popular around the time this movie came out, 1994. If you are a Twilight fan-- it may be interesting to watch and see the interconnections between the two-- makes me wonder if Stephanie Meyer was inspired by these books/movies. What I find most notable about the movie is how it toys with the concept of life and death, mortality, and immortality.

4. "Pulp Fiction"

I am a big Quentin Tarantino fan so I may be biased-- but let me tell you, this movie is worth the watch. Crazy graphics, clever writing, interesting plot, amazing soundtrack, and a perfect cast-- what more could you ask for. A true classic. However, if you are squeamish-- this may not be the movie for you. One of Tarantino's renowned patterns is his use of blood and gore.

5. "Chasing Amy"

If you want a classic 90's movie-- look no further. More than that, however, this movie is filled with ups and downs and mixes heavy topics-- like love and sexuality, with comedy. From filmmaker, comedian, and writer Kevin Smith gives us an incredibly well put together indie movie. This movie stars Joey Lauren Adams, Ben Affleck, and Jason Lee.

6. "Singles"

This cute 90's rom-com from director Cameron Crowe will give you a look into what different types of love can look like. Based in the grungy nineties Seattle music scene, this movie will is a must see.

7. "Almost Famous"

Another gem from Cameron Crowe, this movie stars a young Kate Hudson and focuses on the music scene and how it affects a young journalist and a mysterious girl he meets along the way.

8. "Breakfast at Tiffany's"

A classic movie starring the angelic being herself, Audrey Hepburn. This movie is based on the book by Truman Capote (which I also recommend reading, the book is much different than the movie). On top of that, I think it has some strong takeaways that are unusual ways of thinking even in the modern day.

9. "Natural Born Killers"

This movie comes to you from the minds of Oliver Stone and Quentin Tarantino, starring Woody Harrelson and Juliette Lewis. It is romantic, gory, and raunchy-- it also provides an interesting taking on the way serial killers may view themselves and the world around them.

10. "Fight Club"

This movie will BLOW YOUR MIND. All I am going to say is this movie is about much more than just fighting. This movie is based on the book via the brilliant, cynical mind of Chuck Palahniuk. It is directed by David Fincher, starring Edward Norton, Brad Pitt, and Helena Bonham Carter.

11. "Reality Bites"

An iconic eighties movie with an impeccable cast, has an interesting take on love. Well written, some scenes from this movie give me chills. Ethan Hawke's raw, intense character makes me feel like I am in the movie with them.

12. "Heathers"

Another iconic 80's movie starring the queen herself, Winona Ryder, and Christian Slater. This movie is romantic and comical but also toys with ideas deeper-- social structure, stereotypes, cruelty, and death.

13. "Deathproof"

Another gory rendition by Tarantino-- this movie is part of a two-part saga, the other part is called Planet Terror, directed by Robert Rodriguez. There is nothing like this two-part saga, but boy is it a bloodbath. The saga features actors including but not limited to: Kurt Russell, Rose McGowan, and Zoe Bell.

14. "Trainspotting"

Trainspotting stars Ewan McGregor, who plays Mark Renton, a heroin addict who struggles with getting clean, handling girl problems, and handling the shenanigans him and his other drug addict friends. This movie deals mostly with heroin and some of the cynical perspectives drug addicts possess. Warning: graphic scenes.

15. "Silver Linings Playbook"

This amazing performance from Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence centers around the difficulties of mental illness and how hard it can become to reconnect with other members of society and maintain a 'normal' life with one.

16. "Comet"

This movie starring Emmy Rossum and Justin Long gives an excellent and unique perspective on love and its realities versus what society chalks it up to be sometimes.

17. "Stuck In Love"

"This movie is an emotional rollercoaster that takes you through the impact (good and bad) that love can have on you. It takes you through the love lives of three interconnected characters, so well done-- beautifully written"

18. "Girl, Interrupted"

Winona Ryder and Angelina Jolie star in this movie surrounding the ups and downs of mental illness and what it is like to transcend from society into a mental institution.

19. "Milk"

This movie is about the life of Harvey Milk, the first openly gay politician and his story-- a super important and well-done movie.

20. "Dallas Buyers Club"

This incredible performance by Jared Leto, Matthew McConaughey, and Jennifer Garner centers around the AIDs epidemic in the 1980s, it has heavy undertones, such as the struggle with masculinity, being gay, deceitfulness in healthcare, and coping with death.

21. "Beetlejuice"

Another iconic performance from Winona Ryder. This movie is a classic, spooky film-- good for any time of the year, not just Halloween time, contrary to popular belief. Watch this movie if you haven't seen it.