8 Movies That Have Changed My Life And Will Change Yours Too

8 Movies That Have Changed My Life, And Will Change Yours Too

Yes, more than half of them are from the 80s.

52

It is no doubt that the impact movies and film have on the population - whether it be through the political environment, public stigma, or societal institutions of the time period - is a strong one. Movies have the ability to take the audience away from reality; they have the ability to change your way of looking at the world, whether that is through rose-colored glasses or a magnifying glass. Films impact audiences in ways that are hard to fully comprehend.

I've been a so-called "movie-buff" since I could first understand the plot lines to my Disney movies when I was really little. The idea that a world so completely different, but not different at all, could exist was crazy to me.

The type of movies I watch now are a little maturer now that I am 18 in college, but my love for them is still extremely high. These are 8 movies that I 100% believe have changed my life forever, and they will change yours too.

Little Miss Sunshine (2006)

This movie is the backbone of about 90% of my personality. Between the iconic friendship that outcasts Dwayne and Frank have, the killer indie soundtrack (broken up by Rick James' Superfreak), to the childlike naivety that drives Olive to compete in every beauty pageant - this movie is pure, unadulterated gold. I have yet to find another movie that motivates me the specific way this one does, where it is both to cure an aching wanderlust but to also remain home with my family. This movie taught me that it is okay to breakdown, and it is okay to feel lost sometimes, because winning doesn't always mean being first place.

(Can you tell Dwayne is my favourite character?)

Little Miss Sunshine 2006 cast (from left to the right): Sheryl Hoover played by Toni Collette, Olive Hoover played by Abigail Breslin, Grandpa Edwin Hoover played by Alan Arkin, Dwayne Hoover played by Paul Dano, Frank Ginsburg played by Steve Carell, Richard Hoover played by Greg Kinnearimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com

The Breakfast Club (1985)

"We're all pretty bizarre, some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all."

I'm not saying John Hughes was a genius for writing/directing this movie, but John Hughes was a genius for writing/directing this movie. High school is such a sucky time for almost every student. I hated everything about high school aside from my amazing teachers I had (and our cafeteria food..it was not as bad as everyone likes to think it was). But the concept of people of all different backgrounds and family lives that found a way to peacefully coexist together was beautiful to me. Because, after all, we are all a princess, a brain, an athlete, a criminal, and a basket case, nobody is better than anyone else.

The Breakfast Club 1985 cast (from left to right): John Bender played by Judd Nelson, Andrew Clark played by Emilio Estevez, Allison Reynolds played by Ally Sheedy, Claire Standish played by Molly Ringwald, Brian Johnson played by Anthony Michael Hallcdn.theatlantic.com

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

This is obviously the most recent movie that is on this list and for good reason. This movie focuses on the origins of "classic" rock band Queen, but mainly on the life of the charismatic lead singer Freddie Mercury. It follows the journey of Freddie's life from when Queen was formed all the way to the historical Live Aid concert in 1985. The story, while posing small inaccuracies, still captured the soul of the beloved band. I was raised in a household that mainly enjoyed Journey and other "hair metal" of the 80s, that isn't to say that we hated Queen, because it was definitely the opposite. Freddie Mercury was a talent unlike any other, and the way the music spoke to him was truly something to marvel at.

Bohemian Rhapsody 2018 cast (from left to right): John Deacon played by Joseph Mazzello, Roger Taylor played by Ben Hardy, Freddie Mercury played by Rami Malek, Brian May played by Gwilym Leemedia1.s-nbcnews.com

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

Rocky Horror is definitely a movie that you have to watch more than once to understand, not everyone likes it either, as it is a cult classic. This movie came out during a time where sexuality was more open-minded and expressed than prior years. It is well-known for its bright colors and odd science-fiction (ehem..double feature) themes, but it truly is a tragedy. The message portrayed through the wild experiments of Dr. Frank N. Furter is to be kind to one another, or your downfall will be certain and spectacular. Rocky Horror is a look into self-absorption and the negative aspects of conceit, the pageantry is just all part of the fun.

Rocky Horror 1975 cast (from left to right): Columbia played by Nell Campbell, Magenta played by Patricia Quinn, Frank N. Furter played by Tim Curry, Riff Raff played by Richard O'Brienparadiseofpaonia.com

Coraline (2009)

Coraline is just one of a handful of Tim Burton movies that has truly impacted me. At first glance, the stop-motion story of young, adventurous Coraline Jones is childlike and innocent, but once the story gets moving there is a darker and deeper meaning. This movie taught me not to take for granted the life and things that I have. It taught me to not fall for things that seemed too good to be true, and that you need to fight back against those who try to control you because your life is only your own.

Coraline 2009 cast (from left to right): Cat voiced by Keith David, Coraline voiced by Dakota Fanningi.vimeocdn.com

Ghostbusters (1984)

Not going to lie, the first time I watched this movie, I was very young. This is one of my dad's favourites so naturally it became one of mine as well as time went on. The concept of a group of jokester scientists that ban together to rid the streets of New York of ghosts that look like globs of slime or marshmallows was so entertaining, and still is to this day.

Ghostbusters 1984 cast (from left to right): Egon Spengler played by Harold Ramis, Winston Zeddemore played by Ernie Hudson, Peter Venkman played by Bill Murray, Ray Stantz played by Dan Aykroyd timedotcom.files.wordpress.com

Back to the Future (1985)

Marty McFly and Doc made my childhood so much better. Yes, the plot line seems sketchy now that I am an adult, and generally the idea that your parents would "have the hots" for you if you went back in time to when they were your age is not something that is thought about all that often. Nor should it be, I mean...yikes. However, this movie really spawned my love for time travel, as I watched this movie around the same time I started watching Doctor Who.

Back to the Future 1985 cast (from left to right): Doc played by Christopher Lloyd, Marty McFly played by Michael J. Fox cdn.shopify.com

Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

It was honestly so hard choosing between episode four and five, as I was raised in a Star Wars household. That isn't to say that we stereotypically hated Star Trek, I still adore William Shatner for his OG Captain Kirk, but Star Wars is still held to such a high standard in my household and my life. Seeing Luke being trained by Yoda, to the battle of Hoth taking form, to finally watching the rebellion take over the empire only to be knocked down again when Han is taken prisoner, it kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time (and still does when I re-watch it). Not to mention the stunning cinematography involved throughout the story is enough to make a grown man cry. Also: growing up with a female figure as powerful as Leia Organa representing my gender was something that still empowers me to this day.

Star Wars Episode V 1980 cast (from left to right): Chewbacca played by Peter Mayhew, C-3PO played by Anthony Daniels, Princess Leia Organa played by Carrie Fischer, Han Solo played by Harrison Fordcdn1.thr.com

From Your Site Articles
Related Articles Around the Web