Movie Review: Why Logan is actually the best superhero movie yet

Blood isn't the only thing running deep in the Wolverine saga

17
Slash Film

Wolverine, the very name invokes ferocity and anger. Technically speaking, a wolverine is a large, carnivorous member of the weasel family, and lives across North America and Russia. Nowadays, a synonymous definition for the word "wolverine," is the name Logan. And the name Logan, translates to badass.

On March 3rd, Logan became the recent, and final, installment of the Wolverine saga, within the X-Men series. Colloquially known as Wolverine, Logan is the old, grandpa-ish version of the aforementioned superhero. Housing a scraggly bear and graying hairstyle, Logan stills sports the chiseled muscles and adamantium claws he uses to shred his foes into ribbons.

However, in the far future, a drunken, cranky Logan is helping an ailing Professor Xavier, while being hunted down by a vile genetics company. His healing power is failing, and the adamantium that gave him his power is slowly starting to poison him. Age has caught up with him, and so has an unlikely ally: his daughter.

What the actual hell, Wolverine has a daughter? And she can fight with the same ferocity and style as Logan? Here's why Logan will go down as not only one of the best movies of 2017, but as one of the greatest superhero movies ever, EVER.

It houses the typical themes in a superhero movie, the sense of justice you want to convey in your life, the action, and the final climax of the film where it grabs you by the neck and screams "AWESOME" in your face.

But, what I really think got many audiences infatuated with this film, is that it broke the typical hero motif in movies that we all are used to seeing. American society is so used to seeing a brilliant sense of justice in movies, on top of charm, wit, emotion and a happy ending. Logan is the exact opposite of that. Logan was indeed dark, bloody, raw and genuine. That's why it struck a chord with many audiences. Logan is not for the faint of heart, it is serious.

In a lot of ways, Logan is quite similar to Deadpool. Here we have an unlikely hero, neither friendly nor stoic in appearance, but have an innate sense of justice, but will accomplish there goals, no matter how dirty or dark the path might be. However, one guy is wearing a red jumpsuit with two swords and guns, while the other is old and half-drunk 24/7, but gets angry by the slightest of issues, and uses his steel claws to solve his problems.

You also have to feel bad for Logan in a way. Think about it: he's almost senile, bares the scars of many fights, cranky, drinks alcohol half the time, and he looks like he needs a good two or three showers to feel better. He feels persecuted by the world in a way, and you sense that he seeks nothing but penance during the latter part of his life. He lived a hard life, but that's what made it so good.

You want to root for the person who has been through it all, lost everything, and wants to protect those closest to him.