Movie Review: "Boo! A Madea Halloween"

Movie Review: "Boo! A Madea Halloween"

Trick or treat with your favorite person this Halloween!

78
Movie Review: "Boo! A Madea Halloween"
Movie Web

Just sometime last week, Lionsgate, the entertainment company, released "Boo! A Madea Halloween," which is the eighth film of the entire "Madea" series and the second "Madea" film not originated from a stage play. "Boo! A Madea Halloween" is a comedy/horror film directed, produced, and written by Tyler Perry. Tyler Perry also stars in the movie by reprising three of his popular characters: Mabel "Madea" Simmons, Joe Simmons, and Brian Simmons.

The movie centers around six main characters: Brian Simmons, Tiffany Simmons, Mabel "Madea" Simmons, Joe Simmons, Betty Ann "Aunt Bam" Murphy, and Hattie Mae Love. Brian is having trouble disciplining his now 17-year-old daughter, Tiffany, so because he is out of options, he calls Madea and asks for her help. Brian requests that Madea stay at his house and watch over Tiffany (since she refused to spend the weekend with her mother). Tiffany has plans to attend a party at a frat house down the street, but Brian makes sure to mention this to Madea. Madea's job is to keep Tiffany in the house while Brian leaves for the weekend.

Aunt Bam, Joe, and Hattie tag along with Madea to Brian's house. When Tiffany learns the real reason why her father called them, she and her friend, Aday Walker, plan to trick the "old people". Tiffany and Aday fool Madea and her crew into believing that the house is haunted and once done, the girls sneak out and head to the frat party. Eventually, Madea recognizes the scheme and figures out that Tiffany and Aday have left the house.

Madea takes Aunt Bam and Hattie with her to the frat house in an effort to locate Tiffany. Two more of Tiffany's friends, Rain and Leah, warn Tiffany that "her aunt is here and looking for her". The frat brothers, along with Rain and Leah, hide Tiffany and Aday upstairs, while Madea continues to look for Tiffany downstairs. Eventually, Madea shuts down the party, but is kicked out by the frat brothers. One of the frat brothers discovers that Aday is underage and kicks her out of the party, and Tiffany manages to escape back to her house. Meanwhile, Aunt Bam has the party officially shut down by the police because Tiffany is also underage.

Because Madea and her crew had their party shut down, the frat brothers decide to prank them. After Tiffany reveals to Jonathan, the frat president, how she previously tricked the "old people", the frat brothers decide to use this as the basis for their prank. After a successful prank, Madea, Aunt Bam, and Hattie escape to the church and learn that the frat brothers were behind the prank. The three ladies, in addition to the pastor and his daughter (who is revealed to be Aday), decide to prank the frat brothers back.

In the end, Brian is called back home early and he learns to discipline and have open communication with Tiffany. The prank on the frat brothers was also successful and it included the fake arrest of them as well as a brawl on a prison bus.

The notable cast features many Hollywood favorites such as Tyler Perry, Cassi Davis, and Patrice Lovely. The cast also included many contemporary actors, actresses, music artists, and Youtubers such as Diamond White, Bella Thorne, Tyga, Yousef Erakat, Liza Koshy, Kian Lawley, and Jimmy Tatro. It is clear that the correct people were chosen for the respective roles, and the cast worked well together to produce an outstanding movie!

"Boo! A Madea Halloween" is placed under both genres of comedy and horror. Ultimately, the movie is more comedic than it is "scary". I experienced an innumerable amount of laughs throughout the entire movie. Furthermore, the music selection was spectacular and added to the movie's overall comedic aspect.

Overall, the movie rightfully has a PG-13 rating due to its adult language and adult content, as well as a duration of 103 minutes. I have no actual complaints about the movie itself. Although the movie received mostly negative reviews, I would rate the movie five stars (which I normally don't do). If you have not yet seen "Boo! A Madea Halloween", you should make plans now to purchase a ticket and enjoy a night out at the movie theater.