​11 Ways to Stay Motivated in College

​11 Ways to Stay Motivated in College

Help yourself be a better student

392
​11 Ways to Stay Motivated in College
Pexels.com

Have you been sticking to all of your goals for 2018? No? Don’t worry, me either. However, I did stick to a few of my goals that have sort of changed the way I tackle busy schedules and a full week. I’ve learned to be more productive and organized. I know we’ve all had those days where all we want to do is lay in bed, watch Netflix and never leave our rooms again. Personally, I had one of those days last week. With the weather outside being dark, cold and wet, those days seem to come by way too much. Unfortunately, we all have people to see, homework to do, papers to write and lots of stuff to get done by certain times.

One of my goals for 2018 was to get organized and be productive. Productivity can mean anything from meal prep to writing out my planner, to going to bed early! Here are 7 of my useful tricks to keep yourself motivated and productive when faced with a chaotic and busy schedule.

Set your alarm clock twice in the morning.

I know, this seems a little weird. But for some reason, it makes me feel well rested. If I know I have to be up at 9 am, I set my alarm clock for 7:50 am or 8:00 am. Feeling like I’m getting extra sleep tricks my brain into feeling very well rested when I wake up.

Always eat.

If you’re going to study, eat. Bring food with you. Always have snacks in a reachable place. Having snacks around and something nice to drink is what usually keeps my brain turning. Plus, it gives you something to do while doing your work!

If you’re like me and have 800 things to do all the time, buy a planner or use an online calendar.

I personally use both and they really save me. You can set reminders, write what’s due when, and write out everything you have to do during the week/weekend.

Color code everything. I know. It’s tedious. But it’s really worth it. I personally color code things like social events, homework, and meetings that I have to attend.

Write out your weekly goals.

This personally helps me stay motivated. Write out what you wish to accomplish for the week/month/day, it doesn’t matter. When you achieve the things that you write, cross them out and look at your progress!

Mindfulness.

This seems very simple, but always be very mindful of your time, your surroundings and what has to get done when. The worst thing you could do is forget a very important assignment or meeting. Being mindful of your time will ensure your success.

Don’t overwhelm yourself on Sunday’s.

I know we’re all guilty of this one, but it’s the best tip I gave myself. Plan out your week and evenly distribute the work you have to do so when Sunday comes, you’re not panicking.

Don’t study in your own space.

Personally, studying or doing work in a different space than my room or my apartment forces me to actually DO my work. When you study at home, your bed is just way too tempting….

Accept being cold.

This one may seem crazy, but if you know you’re going to a place to study that’s cold, don’t bring a sweater or wear an extra layer. Being cold can actually help your brain work faster and it will also motivate you to get your work done to get out of there and put on a coat!

Listen to some upbeat instrumentals.

I personally listen to electronic music when I study because it makes me want to dance and do my work at the same time!

Create a reward system for yourself.

If you do all of your work by a certain time, eat some ice cream and watch an episode of your favorite TV show. After I finish reading all of my textbooks for the week, I cozy up with some hot cocoa and a couple episodes of Grey’s Anatomy.

I hope these tips help you as much as they help me. Try out some of the quirky ones and see if you notice any changes in your mindset!