The 11 Stages of "Moshing"

The 11 Stages of "Moshing"

So You Think You Can Mosh?

1391
The 11 Stages of "Moshing"
Chris Martin

You're at a concert. Music is blaring, the crowd is roaring, and there is a 99.9 percent chance of hearing loss for the next 24 hours. For some music lovers, that's all their concert experience will hold: frantic fans and their favorite tunes blared out of ginormous speakers. For others, however, they will emerge from their concert tired, sweaty, bruised, and with a crazy grin on their face. These people might have a new tear or two in their clothes and possibly be bearing a little blood, but they will tell you of their happy times in hectic crowds. These people are moshers.

1. What is a Moshing?

In all actuality, moshing is a crazy, pointless act people decide to be a part of. All it really includes is people aggressively shoving, butting, pushing, and pressing into each other. Truthfully it is not a very smart thing to do as it can sometimes get out of hand. However, moshing, or being a part of a mosh pit, is a very enjoyable act as well.

2. Caution to all moshers!

Moshing is a fun activity that allows you to let loose and just give into whatever impulse you have. This does mean that you do not have the possibility of getting hurt. Since moshing requires shoving into people and they in turn shoving you there are many chances of getting hit by fellow moshers or pushed into the ground. Usually this is not intention as the people in the mosh pit are just there to have a good time. I am just informing you of what could happen, but am by no means trying to scare you away from moshing. Despite the bruises, a mosher will likely receive, it is very enjoyable. I would recommend giving it a shot.

3. How it starts.

There are two ways mosh pits are started: general pushing and shoving or running. From my experience, I would say the former option is the most common way to start a mosh pit. All it takes is one person to become hyped enough to butt another person. If that person feels like moshing, they will shove back. The people around the two will notice and either join or back away. This is how the pit is formed. This will happen at a very rapid rate.

4. Option number two.

As said in the paragraph above, a mosh pit can be started by running. This is called a circle pit. I would say these pits have a more organized start up than the push-and-shove method. Sometimes the band or artist on stage will encourage a pit to be formed. When this happens a circle pit is more likely to occur. It is also started by crowd goers in the same manner as the push-and-shove by a person or two rallying people into running with them to form a pit. After running for a bit, the moshers will start pushing each other and it becomes an average mosh pit.

5. What is the wall of death?

If you think the title is a little scary, you are thinking correctly. The wall of death is when the crowd splits, typically motivated by words from the band playing. The opposing sides will wait for the signal from the artist and then rush into each other. Afterwards it becomes a normal mosh pit. The wall of death is not super common and does not start a mosh pit, but every concert goer should at least know of its existence. The wall of death possess more risks, so I would advise beginners to shy away from it. However, it is a sort of right of passage for any mosher. Know your limits, but don't cross it off the list.

6. How to mosh.

Now that we have covered the basics, let's get to the easiest part: moshing. After mustering up the courage to throw yourself into a throng of what appears to be a battle royal, dive in and prepare to get bruised. Keep your elbows in, your hands up, and mouth shut. Keeping your elbows up will limit the chances of accidentally hitting someone harder than intended. Your hands must be up to shove people, ward away oncoming moshers, and to protect your face. Beware of the possibility of hitting yourself in your face. Keep your mouth shut so you don't run the chance of biting your tongue or cheek due to an unexpected shove or whatnot. The next step would be to push, butt, shove, and run into the people around you. Don't throw any punches! Moshers do not like this and may retaliate. Even though moshing itself is rather aggressive, it is meant to be fun and enjoyable.

7. Where should you mosh?

This is not a huge part of moshing, but is worth mentioning. If you're looking for a less hectic moshing experience stay by the edges of the pit. Ordinarily there is less shoving due to the hardcore moshers residing in the center of the pit for more action. If you're one to really get into the thick of things, shove your way into the center and brace yourself.

8. Be aware of people.

I advise keeping limbs to yourself to allow better protection to yourself and the moshers around you. However not all people believe this. There are always people who flail around like they're fighting invisible ninjas. It's not necessarily a bad thing to do, but sometimes the flailers hit people harder than they mean to. Keep an eye on them just so you don't get decked in the face. Also try not to shove into the people bordering the pit. These people will push you back into the fray, but do not fancy being a part of it.

9. Falling in the pit.

If you mosh, is a 99.9 percent chance of you falling on your butt. This can be a little scary due to the fact that people are going crazy around you and probably haven't noticed your fall. But fear not! Those who do see you fall are likely to help. Again, moshing is just for the enjoyment, and not for the goal of hurting people. Sometimes moshers will surround the fallen to limit the chances of getting hurt. Other times a person will simply lend a hand. This doesn't always happen, so don't naturally count on it. Get up as soon as you are able, but stay calm.

10. How to leave the pit.

Leaving the pit is fairly simple. Advance naturally to the edge of the pit and shove your way into the crowd. Do this too aggressively and the people on the border of the pit will shove you back toward the center. The mosh pit itself normally doesn't last too long and will fade out on its own. You can use this time to exit the area. Be wary of staying in a dead mosh pit. Sometimes the area will stay underpopulated and later become a very active pit once again.

11. Have fun!

You don't have to mosh if you don't feel like it. The main theme of concerts is to enjoy it, so don't be peer pressured into doing anything you're not comfortable with. Be safe, jam out, and have fun.