Reality Hits Harder Than You Think

Being in 'The Middle' Is more than a college song

Well, at a certain point in your life, "dreaming of what you want to be when you grow up" sort of changes, and you start shifting towards "becoming what you want to be when you grow up."

44
https://unsplash.com/photos/RLw-UC03Gwc

All my life I have sort of minded my own business, to say the least. I believe I am a pretty optimistic person. I trust people more than I should. Like leave-my-bag-in-the-gym-locker-unlocked kind of trust. I have been warned, though, to be careful, to be optimistic, but be realistic about things.

I think for a little I lived in a world just doing my thing "dreaming of what I want to be when I grow up." Well, at a certain point in your life, "dreaming of what you want to be when you grow up" sort of changes, and you start shifting towards "becoming what you want to be when you grow up." Right now, I'm sort of in that weird transition stage of figuring it all out and working towards "becoming what I want to be when I grow up." I mean, we all are, being in college, entering college, or in our early twenties.

This summer has been crazy with back to back work schedules, two lab sciences, internship hours, and volunteer work. I haven't had much time to breathe, let alone take some time for my self or hang out with my friends. That is okay because I keep in mind it will be worth it. However, while in my transitional stage, I faced more discouragement than I had anticipated, and it's only the beginning.

I knew my career plans were going to be difficult, I knew I was going to have to be committed, and I was willing to do all these things. I spent my summer figuring out my plan for the next three years, and I felt good. I was on my way. As soon as I started talking to some people in the field or others on a similar path going into the field, I was hurt. They questioned the decisions I was making and didn't see the relevance of what I was studying. I think being a dancer and understanding how the body works is very relevant to how I hope to work as a physical therapist. I mean, I didn't really know how to react other than want to crawl up in a ball and cry (but I couldn't because I was at my internship).

I guess that's reality, and not everyone will believe in you. The best thing to do is believe in yourself. The world is a lot to take in all at once when you feel like you're doing it alone. Then again, I have the best friends. They are always there for me and know what to say. It truly is amazing how much having a support system and people that listen can be. It helps get me through these times when I feel so low, and I am grateful for that. Sometimes, I figure they aren't my age because they really are so wise and let me know that it is all going to be okay. I don't know, man, we are all just trying to figure out life.