Fight for the Arts And Public Broadcasting

Support goes beyond the fight for funding, and shows that America values culture and education!

14
touchofmodern

With every year there seems to come new excitement of change that is to be implemented. This is especially true in the fields of arts and humanities. Along with the upcoming changes that are projected to take place for public education broadcasting and artistic culture, wants change in this area. The difference, Trump's idea of change is not positive.

The budget that Trump proposed in March dampens the creativity that the above-mentioned people and organizations commit their lives to in order to create a culture that others can enjoy and live through. Not everyone knows what this change is referring to, so the following will catch you up to speed.

In March of 2017, President Trump proposed budget cuts for a lot of domestic programs. Main players that would be significantly impacted by this enactment would be the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the National Endowment for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Humanities . You might be thinking, "what is the big deal if they get a little funding cut; they will just adjust to the lower fund amount and go from there." Not exactly, under this proposed budget for 2018, organizations as those mentioned above will only have the funds to close out or to shut down.

Under this plan, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting would be eliminated. For that reason, this will be the primary example used throughout the rest of this article. Ultimately, if this plan went through, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting would be cut to ZERO. A big goose egg. Not a penny will be given.

While some people argue that these organizations will still survive even if the money from Congress stops being in support, the point here goes beyond funding. Taking a step back from the situation, as humans consider that the average person puts their money into what is needed, and then what is thought to be of importance. This is also true on the larger scale of what programs the government and Congress support, even on a small scale.

With this in mind, it is true that if as Americans we choose to support organizations that we think are important and hold value to our society, then by not fighting for the support of the National and public in our country's budget we don’t think that these services hold value.

It is understandable to cut the funding for these organizations in order to benefit, say, healthcare funding or funding to care for the homeless, and if they were receiving a significant amount of the funding in the first place. Organizations such as these only make up 0.016% of the US budget, which came out to $4.6 trillion. This makes no sense. At the end of the day, these organizations are not even taking any attention in the national budget.

These services hold value. Organizations like the Corporation for Public Broadcasting allows for public radio, television and other related services. The numbers that go along with these show the impact that this organization has, especially on the citizens who live in rural areas away from other opportunities. CPB is just trying to do good in America, and has positively impacted Americans for the 49 years that it has been operating. For all that it offers, it doesn’t make much of a dent financially, and for functional operation, the numbers break down to $1.35 per American per year. That is less than buying a drip coffee at Starbucks!

While organizations like those being proposed in the new budget have seen opposition for their full disconnect from support, this is not a permanent fix for the future. In fact, after 2017 the funding and support for these programs on a federal level is still uncertain.

There are people out there fighting in support for the continuation of holding these organizations as important in American society. These people include those involved in arts, have been affected by arts, or those who see value in what these programs supply.

Just because others are fighting doesn’t mean that the support that has accumulated to this point is enough to ensure the operation of these organizations in the future.

It is important to understand that by standing alongside these organizations one is not saying that other organizations that receive American budget money are not important as well. By supporting the organizations that work so diligently to keep Americans of all ages informed, educated and culturally immersed, you are stating that these things hold significance as well.

At the end of the day organizations like NFA, NFH and CPB are in favor of supporting the other areas that receive a significant amount of funding. Examples of such include military, homeland security, healthcare and more. While the programming put on these organizations might not usually be directly related, they provide a strong base for getting there.

In their simplest form, these organizations strive to give all socioeconomic statuses equal access to programs that educate, inform and ultimately shape and inspire the importance of education. Since organizations such as PBS is often underappreciated, their true influence on specifically children and minorities is not often considered.

It is only by being educated that American citizens can make decisions about the other funded areas in the budget, and more importantly about how they are going to participate as a citizen.

With this next year approaching soon, change is going to happen on both fronts. The arts and humanities are going to come up with fresh ideas that inspire and educate the public, and Congress will either support or not support the plans Trump wishes to implement. Ultimately change is inevitable, but at the very least educate yourself on what is happening and take a stand to support what many not see as a big deal.

Value these organizations hold, and these organizations breathe value into the public in the form of education and expression. You might not understand how these organizations have affected you, but if they are not supported or valued, the next generations will!