When Your Boyfriend Is A Little More ESPN Than Hallmark

And you love him all the more for it.

54

If you think this is going to be an article trashing the cheesiness and predictability of Hallmark movies, you should probably leave this page now because that is not what you are going to get.

I love Hallmark movies! I live for the cheesiness, and, even if I know they're going to fall in love and kiss at the end, I'm excited for it every time.

But, that does not mean that is exactly how I need my relationship to play out. Romantic walks through the perfect little small town look great, but so does just being together watching your college basketball team win a close game, or being there to see his excitement when his favorite NFL team wins their first Super Bowl.

That is the real world. Well, it is my real world. Cheesy, predictable rom-coms will get me every time, but game winning touchdowns get me too.

So, as cute and perfect as the men in those movies are, I love my ESPN boyfriend. I love real conversations about anything and everything. I especially love the ones about sports, and I am lucky to have a guy who can see and appreciate that side of me too.

I cannot think that I speak for the entire population when I say that I would spend the day watching football just as quickly as I would spend the day watching corny movies, but I'm glad I have a partner that gives me the option.

As magical as storybook relationships are, eventually the movie ends and you rarely see them face any real problems for a lasting duration. Real relationships have ups and downs and hard times, and that is when you need a real person by your side and not a character in a film.

Hallmark movies will always be some of my favorites, but I love doing life with a real person. I do not need a long awaited kiss at the end of the movie, sometimes I just need a guy to sit there and talk about football with me.