7 Of The Best Places To Eat In Montville, New Jersey

The high school community has officially decided which restaurants are their favorites

454
Rail's Steakhouse

Montville is a small town. We have just over 20,000 residents and not much to do on the weekends. Our football team isn't anywhere close to being ranked 1st, and our school system doesn't produce the top rated students. Instead of bringing attention to our arts programs like the marching band or drama club, we instead focus on the cultural aspect of the town, and put money towards building a "downtown" full of small restaurants and convenience stores. Don't get me wrong, the family-owned business are great and have outstanding service, but can also be expensive and sometimes hard to get into on a Friday or Saturday night.

As a high school student living in a small town, I expect to be able to spend time with my friends in the surrounding area and find a place to eat now and then that caters to all of our appetites. This past week, I shared on Facebook a poll for the high school community to participate in. The poll showed a drop-down list of seven Montville restaurants deemed most popular for students my age.

With over 200 participants in my survey online, I discovered what I had already known to be true: that my favorite restaurants are also the most popular restaurants among my classmates and friends.

If you're a Montvillian, you should know, or atleats have heard of the seven choices:

1. Joe's Pizzeria

In first place, which I was expecting, is Joe's Pizzeria. Joe's is on Changebridge, barely a quarter of a mile from the high school, which is why it serves as the most popular after schoolhang-out for students. On any given day after school, Montville's most famous pizza place will be filled with students until 5 o'clock. Joe's is the ideal restaurant for high school students not only because the staff works quickly and makes delicious food, but also because the food is cheap and Joe's is easy to get to at anytime of the day.

2. Red Barn

In second, is Red Barn: a family owned restaurant in the heart of Montville, just off of Main Road. Red Barn is Montville's equivalent to a diner, with the feel of a cafe, and the smell of a bakery. With delicious food-- my go-to being a blueberry muffin-- and a great family-friendly feel, it is a great place for breakfast and lunch, as they unfortunately do not serve dinner. Red Barn also has great outdoor seating, perfect for the spring and summer seasons, especially for those who love to bring their furry friends to lunch!

3. Gencarelli's

In third place, we have Gencarelli's, yet another one of Montville's pizza places. Gencarelli's is located on Hook Mountain road and caters to a wide demographic. It supplies delicious pizza pies to high school students, but also serves 5 star dinners in a more upscale part of the restaurant to couples and to families, just around the corner from the pizza window. My favorite dinner there will always be the lobster ravioli, but their homemade bread is to die for.

4. 900 Degrees

In fourth place, as mentioned previously, we have 900 Degrees. What is interesting about this, is that, as mentioned in comparison to Woodstack, it is yet another wood-fired pizza parlor, but instead draws more of a crowd and more attention from the surrounding area. Maybe it's location, just next to Sundaes and Rails, or maybe just a more popular area for high school students. In any case, it has landed the #4 spot on the favorites list of Montville.

5. Woodstack

In fifth place, Woodstack takes the reins. Another one of Montville's pizzerias, Woodstack is located on US-46 in Pinebrook. The reason, as it has been explained to me, that this pizza joint isn't in the top three favorites is because of the wood-fired taste of the food, although I would think that that would be more of a positive note. In any case, perhaps Woodstack just hasn't made as large of an impact on Montvillians as 900 Degrees has in the past few months.

6. Rails

In sixth place, we have Rails. Rails is an upscale "white table cloth" restaurant for those with a high class taste or with a thick wallet. Located on Whitehall Road, it isn't too far from the high school, but is definitely out of budget for anyone looking to snag a quick snack on the way home from work, school, or after a football game. In most cases, seniors at Montville reported they would much rather go to Applebee's on any given night instead of paying for, and waiting for a seat, at Rails.

7. Asian Kawa

In seventh place, was Asian Kawa. Asian Kawa is a Japanese and Thai restaurant located in Towaco on Main Road. Although the foot traffic is great throughout the week, the average high school senior would most likely stick close to home (and close to school) and either walk to Joe's for pizza or take a quick trip to China Pavilion (if they were really in the mood for Asian cuisine).

Although Joe's Pizzeria was ranked highest among the list of the other six restaurants, all are great places to go to with family or friends and to have a good time. Each of these restaurants are beloved by the Montville community for different reasons and have a great atmosphere for students. Montville, I am pleased to say, is a happening little town with big hopes to become something better in the future. Each of these seven restaurants are delicious and provide Montville with a new culture, sure to include students of all ages and their families.