Money for Me? A short story : Part I

Money for Me? A short story : Part I

A short story about a college student that may or may not win in the end.

17
Money for Me? A short story : Part I
123RF

Here’s a brief description of who I am. My name is Ellie and I am a junior at Candyland University (not as sweet as it sounds). I love to write and draw but I decided to major in the natural sciences. Why did I do that? Because it seemed interesting to me and I have worked so hard for the past three years, that I don’t even want to think about changing majors.

After a long day of class after class, I walked into the Student Center and examined all my options. It’s almost finals time and I have little to no credits on my meal card. My only option was to find the cheapest meal. However, I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to eat. Are you ever in that mood when you want to eat everything, but you don’t know what to eat (not to mention you don’t have enough money for whatever you want to eat). Well, I guess I’ll buy a rainbow bagel with blueberry cream cheese. That has got to be the cheapest option. After sitting by myself and eating the delicious bagel, I decided to text my roommate Amy to see where she was.

“Hey, where are you?”

“Waiting for my advisor, why?”

“I’m so tired but I wanted to do a movie night.”

“Aw, I should be out soon. I’ll text you later?”

“Yeah, no problem.”

Well, I might as well go with plan B, take a walk on campus, go to the nearest store, buy a lottery, see the results then take a nap. Since I turned 20, I have been playing the lottery in hopes that I could possibly win 1 million dollars. As I walked off campus, I did the usual wave to all the familiar faces and continued to the store. The clerk always knew what I wanted when I stepped in the door. I have to say that that’s pretty convenient. Sometimes he even threw in a free snack but not today, just 2 lottery tickets. After getting the lottery ticket I ran back to my room, threw the ticket on my table and hopped in the shower.

After I got out, I set up my work area so that I could do my homework, watch Netflix and eat a yogurt. Midway through my homework, I realized that I had the lottery tickets. I searched through my wallet for a coin and started scratching each row one by one. In this game, you have to get three of the same amount. Therefore, if you scratched off 3 one dollars, you would win a dollar. So far I scratched off two $500. All I needed was to scratch off one more $500 and oh my gosh, I would easily have 500 dollars in my pocket. The most I have won was $20, not complaining, though, I put that money to good use. Quickly I scratched off the last section and I did… not win 500 dollars.

My roommate walked in as I picked up the second ticket. “Oh man, this again. My goodness Ellie, you need to stop wasting your money on these tickets.”

“Amy, you wait and see. I will win and you will definitely regret the times you didn’t believe in the ticket.”

“Alright, alright good luck roomy. We can start the movie night whenever you’re ready.” She plopped on her bed and set up Netflix.

I braced myself for this ticket and starting scratching off row by row. On both rows, I got 150,000 and 500,000. I had to get one more of either. I have to say I was pretty nervous because either I get all this money or I just don’t. Obviously, I was hoping that I would get either amount, preferably 500,000 but 150,000 would do. I started scratching off the last row, I scratched off $50,$20,$2,$100 and the last number I actually hesitated before I scratched it off.