Money Can't Buy Happiness

Money Can't Buy Happiness

Majoring in the arts IS a good idea.

15
Money Can't Buy Happiness
Wishful Inspiration

One thing that’s come up on my newsfeed recently and in one of my classes is art-related majors, like music, dance, and visual arts, being easy majors that don’t matter in the real world and aren’t profitable fields of study. The truth is, all of those things are false. Majors in different areas of the arts are no easier than a major in biology or chemistry; students in each major have to balance their time between required academic classes, rehearsals for ensembles or performances, and independent study time. Art majors are a little different, though. We still have classes we go to but lots of our outside time is spent in the studio working. At the beginning of each semester, we’re told we’re supposed to spend six hours of outside time working independently. Lots of us work jobs on top of classes, too.

You may not really understand how involved these majors are unless you’re in one or know someone who is. I know dance majors that rehearse until 12 a.m. or later in the morning after a full day of classes and then get up to do it all again. My music major friends have independent practice time they’re supposed to do outside of playing in ensembles and managing their other schoolwork and sometimes paid gigs. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve stayed up into the wee hours of the morning working on paintings or other projects for my classes to get them how I want them to look. Then add in the stress of constantly feeling like the work you’re doing in rehearsals, practice time, or on your drawings isn’t good enough and you’ll wonder how you’ll ever finish school.

I don’t think I’m alone but I’ve always hated the question, “So, what do you plan on doing after college?” As an art major, there’s a stigma that comes with telling people your major; everyone seems to think you’ll be out on the streets starving or always looking for work. And while that can be true, it’s definitely not in many cases. Whenever I get that question, my answer is find a job because that’s what I’m going to do and it will happen. The world needs artsy people and we contribute to the world in ways you don’t realize, from creating jingles or cartoons for ad agencies, to designing websites or logos, or helping a child find their new passion in any art area, artsy people are all around.

I've heard stories from people I've met saying their parents wouldn't let them go into the field they wanted to because they didn't think that was a good field. While I understand wanting you child to be successful, it shouldn't cost them their dream. Lots of people in the arts have this situation; their parents tell them to minor in art, music, or dance, and major in something that will make them more money. But if your heart is in the arts, don't deny your dreams. Follow your heart and do what you know you want to do. Your parents shouldn't try to tell you what to do with your life.

Seeing things on Facebook that encourage people to shy away from the arts in favor other fields like accounting, nursing, or what have you are upsetting. When learned from a young age, these disciplines teach kids lessons they won't learn anywhere else and help shape them as they continue to grow and learn in these programs. Thousands of people across the country find a passion in the arts, whatever their field may be; it’s something they can’t imagine life without and wouldn’t trade all the money in the world for. Okay, maybe so but money isn’t an important factor to artsy people.

Why do we choose to do it then? The answer is simple: it’s what we love. Why study something you hate and get paid to do a job that just makes you miserable? There’s no fun in that. Life is too short to spend it working a miserable job that you don't enjoy. Plus, your work won’t be your best because nothing is driving you to work other than a paycheck. The old adage,"money doesn't buy happiness," is so true. It can buy you material things that make you happy for a while and give you comfort and security. But money will never give you that feeling of satisfaction you have when you're doing something you love.

To artists, the idea of choosing a different field just for the money is shallow and honestly kind of stupid. As long as we’re doing what we love and loving life, nothing else matters. If you love what you do, work won't feel like work all the time. That's all I've ever wanted in life, is to do what I love and not feel like a robot in an office.

But it’s not an easy road, there is always doubt in your mind that maybe you won’t be as successful as you think you’ll be. Not to mention you're always aware that money could always be tight. But you have to keep your eyes on the prize and remember you’ll be doing the thing you love most one day. Whether it’s dancing with a world class company, performing with a great orchestra, or seeing someone’s face light up when you present them with a piece of custom art, you’ll be doing what you love and that’s all an artistic person could ever want in the world.

Next time you go to say you wish your major was as easy as an art/ music/ dance degree, think twice. Our majors are no easier than yours. We may not always spend hours locked in the library but we spend those hours tirelessly working just as hard as someone cramming for a lab practical. There’s a discipline in each field that you only learn studying that particular art; it’s something you don’t necessarily learn just by going to normal classes. Anyone who was involved in those kinds of things will tell you the same thing.

With that said, don’t “major shame” people because you think their degree is worth less than yours. All degrees were created equal and deserve to be treated as such. We’re all here working towards the same thing with lots of the same challenges at hand and ahead. The world needs people in every field, not just high paying positions.

Likewise, when the day comes that your child or maybe even a friend decides to go into something art- related, don’t tear them down and tell them they’ll be a “starving artist.” That term is out-dated and not applicable in many cases. Support your friends and their dreams. They’re just as big and important as your own. Knowing you have their back and care about what they’re doing will mean more to them than you’ll ever know.