Moms: Because Not All Superheroes Wear Capes

Who needs a Superman when you've got a supermom?

553

Think back to when you were 10 years old, an innocent child learning to ride a bike for the very first time. Dad is hard at work ensuring that your helmet has been secured to your head while Mom has crouched down to your size ready to give you the pep talk of your life about how you can conquer the bike and that training wheels are for weenies. Your dad takes one last tug on your helmet strap and carefully places the bike handles into your palms. You almost drop the bike as your hands drip with sweat and you heart races faster than a hummingbird's wings. The moment has finally come, time to ride your bike. You swing your leg over the side, mounting the bike. Dad firmly places his hands on your back, holding you steady as you prepare for the send-off. Mom runs to the end of the street, camera in hand, ready to capture this lifetime achievement or... failure. You signal to Dad you are ready with a quick nod. He begins running as you pump your legs peddling, preparing yourself for when he lets go. One deep breath in and in one swift moment Dad has let go and you are soaring. The wind whips in your face, and your lips curl back into a smile. You did it. You're riding a bike! You hear Mom cheering and Dad grunts proudly. The moment seemed to last forever. But then tragedy strikes; you got too comfortable too fast, and the next thing you know you've landed on the concrete with a busted lip and a bruised knee. Mom comes running and she sweeps you up into her arms and comforts you as tears spill down your cheeks. She patches up your injuries, and as you look into her eyes all you can think of is how she is and always will be your superhero.

It's extremely important to appreciate our mothers, not only on Mother's Day, but on all of the other 364 days of the year. No matter how little/much our mothers were/still are involved in our lives, each of us has a mother. Someone we can turn to when life gets rough, someone who will always be there supporting us no matter what the situation is. They see the best in us when we can only see the worst. They guide us through life and bad breakups too. They don't strictly have to be blood-related to be a mother. They are the people who raised you. The one who you probably gave you such a tough time as you were growing up. They were the people who took care of you when you weren’t able to take care of yourself. Whether by birth, by adoption, by foster parenting, or even by being a role model, your mother is your mother, and it’s nice to take a moment to think about why you are thankful for having her in your life.

It's not easy being a mom; it's is a tough, around-the-clock job. You honestly probably don't even realize all the countless hours that go into being a mom and you probably even took your own mother for granted a time or two. That's why it's imperative to always let your mother know just how much you appreciate her. Because before you know it she can be gone in the blink of an eye, and then it's too late to thank her for her selflessness, to apologize for the times you gave her a fuss, to truly let her know just how much you love her even when you butt heads about almost everything. Your mom is a hero, and you need to make sure that she knows just how important she is in your life.

Life doesn't come with a manual; it comes with a mother. Your mom is the person you can always rely on when you need advice. Although you may not agree with what she says, she always turns out to be right. God created mothers to be our guardian angels; they protect us from harm and teach us about life. They are here to ensure that we are making the correct choices. There will be many times where you feel as though you have failed, but in the eyes, heart, and mind of your mother you are still perfect. Because although you and your mom may not always see eye to eye you will always be heart to heart.

You should always love your mother because you will never get another. Every day I hear so many people talking about how much they hate their mom, or how unfair they are being, and I just wish I could stop and correct these people. Mostly because they really don't understand what they are saying. They don't realize how important their mom is in their life and how often they take it for granted. I've learned this on a personal level. When I lost my mom it felt as though I lost everything. My life changed forever in an instant. There're so many things I wish I could take back and do over again. If I could I would take back all the times I acted like a spoiled brat toward my mom. I didn't realize that she only wanted what was best for me, as all mothers do.

So I would just like to thank all the moms out there that care so much for their children. This is for every mom on this planet, but especially for my favorite one, my amazing mom.

Thank you, Mom:

1. For always catching me when I fall.

2. For teaching me that no matter how many times I fall, I’ll always get back up.

3. For always cheering me on while attending most of my school plays and sporting events.

4. For always supporting me even if the idea was stupid.

5. For teaching me that the quote: “Stick and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me” is a complete lie. 'Cause words are more powerful than a sword. They pierce your soul, and those hits are the hardest ones.

6. For all the fights we had during the years we lived together because they helped me to understand that I’m not always right.

7.For always taking pictures of me (even if I hate it) because you managed to capture important events in my life.

8. For forgiving me every time I made a mistake.

9. For all the breakfasts, lunches, and dinners we enjoyed together, just because we wanted some mom and daughter time.

10. For always giving me pizza when I was hungry because I love pizza.

11. For teaching me that in order to get things I had to save money to buy then on my own.

12. For accepting my friends even when you were not convinced they were the best for me.

13. For all the great advice you gave me and for all the “I told you” moments.

14. For loving me eternally with all your heart.

15. For watching over me every single day.

Therefore, on this Mother's Day, as well as every other day appreciate your mom because you only get one mom, and she deserves the best for everything that she does. Your mom is a hero, and she should always be treated like one.