Open Letter To My Mom On Mother's Day

Open Letter To My Mom On Mother's Day

There needs to be more "yous" in this world!

44
Open Letter To My Mom On Mother's Day
drawingsarah.com

Mother's Day falls on May 14, 2017 this year. But 24 hours doesn't even come close to how much my mother deserves. All of the mothers out there, whether they be old, young, grandmothers, great-grandmothers, step-mothers, step-grandmothers, deceased, and even mommys to be, deserve proper recognition. And not only on Mother's Day, but everyday. However, in spirit of the Mother's Day season, I wanted to write a special letter to my mom.

Dear Mom,

I wanted to first start out by saying thank you. I know it sounds cliché, and those two little words don't do justice to how thankful I am for you, but I cannot begin to write my thoughts without a proper thank you.

You brought me into this world, and that changed your life. It means the world to me that you made the decision to be my mommy. From when I was a newborn, to my terrible-twos, through primary and secondary school, and now college, you've always been my biggest fan. You encourage me to embrace the person I am, and I'm thankful that you do that for me. I see a lot of you in myself. I know without you and without God I would not be the person I am today.

I am sorry for the things I may have taken for granted for in the past. I just didn't understand that all you do for me is out of love, care, and appreciation. But now I understand why you've always been hard on me, pushing me to be a good person, and showing me how to give back to the world. Since I am still at college right now, this will be the first Mother's Day I am not with you. I don't like that at all, and when I see you next week I'm going to give you so many hugs!

You are the strongest woman I know, and I mean that. There needs to be more "yous" in this world (even though there will never be anyone quite like you... I guess that makes me pretty lucky). Through your character and your careers you have influenced the lives of so many people. Who wouldn't love you?!

So mom, thank you. Thank you for enduring the 9+ months of pain for me. Thank you for giving me a house over my head and food to eat. Thank you for taking me out into the world and showing me new things. Thank you for teaching me how to read when I was a toddler, and how to write my name, and how to count, and how to tie my shoes. Thank you for pushing me to get through school, sports, and other activities. Thank you for the late night talks in the bedroom when you would give me all the advice I needed. Thank you for thinking I am beautiful (after all, I got my looks from you anyways). Thank you for teaching me some Italian traditions. Thank you for letting me scream "maaaaMAAAAA" at the top of my lungs when I was younger just because it made us both laugh. Thank you for treating me and my sisters equally, literally, by making us match outfits and hairstyles sometimes. Thank you for giving me the opportunity and allowing me to go to a school 4 hours away from home... I know that hurts you that I'm not so close. Thank you for all of the little day-to-day things you do.

Thank you for loving me the way you do, and for being my mom.

I love you (to infinity and beyond)!