10 Special Moments From The 61st Grammys

On Sunday, February 10, the 61st Grammys award ceremony aired on CBS. This night had its fair share of motivational speeches, strong performances, and girl power! Here are 10 moments from the Grammys that I will remember for the rest of 2019.

Drake's Speech

Drake's speech cutoff was quite shocking but entertaining to see. He spoke that anyone who takes the time to see him, or any other artist, in concert, that is more rewarding than winning a Grammy. That was extremely bold and awesome on his part.

Dua Lipa's win for Best New Artist 

Dua Lipa's speech was moving when she talks about how there were more female nominations in different categories, which shows the progress our society needs. As the music cued in, Dua became extremely inspirational by stating that you should remember that you can do whatever you set your mind to, despite your different story, beliefs, and background.

Lady Gaga's emotional speech

What made Lady Gaga's speech amazing is how she helped spread awareness about mental health when mentioning "A Star Is Born." This was refreshing to hear because, in our society, many individuals suffer from mental health issues each day. So, what we must do is not disregard one another and instead, help each other. She then continues and says: "And if you're hurting, even though it might be hard, try to find that bravery within yourself to dive deep and go tell somebody and take them up in your head with you." Very riveting and beautiful. Thank you, Lady Gaga.

Michelle Obama's special appearance

Speech

What stunned me and many other viewers was the surprise appearance from Michelle Obama. She entered in alongside Jennifer Lopez, Lady Gaga, Jada Pinkett Smith, and Alicia Keys. What captivated me from this speech was this quote: "Whether we like country or rap or rock, music helps us share ourselves, our dignity and sorrows, our hopes and joys. It allows us to hear one another, to invite each other in. Music shows us that all of it matters — every story within every voice, every note within every song. Is that right ladies?" It is always refreshing to see Michelle Obama speak in solidarity for women in the music industry. It just shows how incredible she is, and this appearance literally left me clapping and grinning.

Shawn Mendes and Miley Cyrus' "In My Blood" performance

Shawn Mendes

Besides the amazing black vest look, Shawn Mendes collaboration with Miley Cyrus was spot on. The vocals were on point and it got me to my feet belting out "In My Blood." They are both in my list of favorite artists of all time, so this duet was definitely most needed in my life.

Alicia Keys: First Female Grammy host in 14 years

Host

Alicia Keys shined as the host of the Grammys, even hitting amazing high notes! The last time there was a female host for the Grammys was back in 2005 when Queen Latifah hosted. I hope this female representation in hosting the Grammys continues on.

BTS becoming the first Korean act to present an award at the Grammys

Presenting award

K-pop superstar group BTS received the honor of presenting the "Best R&B Album" to H.E.R. What made this presentation amazing was when RM, the leader of the group, said, "Thank you to all our fans for making this dream come true and we'll be back." Hopefully one day, BTS will finally get the Grammy that they FREAKING deserve.

Kacey Musgraves' Album of the Year win

Album of the Year

Even they misspelled her name in the opening sequence, Kacey Musgraves was awarded Album of the Year for "Golden Hour." Not only that, Musgraves won all the other awards she was nominated for Best Country Song ("Space Cowboy") and Best Country Solo Performance ("Butterflies"). What a QUEEN!

Cardi B making history

Award

Cardi was awarded "Best Rap Album," which makes her the first female solo artist to ever win in this category! Very inspiring and well deserved. You go, Cardi! Talk about changing the game, OKURRRRR!

"This is America" winning Song of The Year

Childish Gambino

Finally, Song of The Year was awarded to Childish Gambino for "This is America." Though he was not there to receive his award, this win shows how much of an impact it has left for our country. It has started conversations that needed to be held and sends a message that we all were too afraid to witness. I hope he keeps at it and continues inspiring people each day.

I personally found this year's Grammys very interesting with a mix of different moments. I wonder what the Grammys have in store for us in 2020!