mom best friend

Your Mom Is The Only Person You'll Ever Need

Thank you mom, for being my personal hero.

1809
Chelsea Edgar

It physically pains me to hear people talk poorly about their mom - about what a tyrant she is and their constant wish of waking up to no supervision and a world to themselves. I break a little inside knowing that most people have not experienced the joy that comes with having a mom who is not only your hero but your best friend.

I used to be one of those people, don't get me wrong. I was convinced during my satanic middle school years that a mother was the worst thing that was ever created and I could do anything on my own. What an idiotic idea that was.

It took the physical heartbreak and emotionally distraught that she had always warned me about, to realize that she might actually know what she's talking about. I came to the slow realization that she somehow seemed to know more than my teachers. She could give better advice than any line in a sappy love song. She had better hugs than any one of my tear stained pillows. And she listened even better than my very best friends. It dawned on me far too late that this woman was everything I saw in myself and everything I aspired to be.

The compassion that my mother holds in her heart has the potential to make it explode any day now. She would give an arm and a leg for someone that she cares about and a trait like that isn't easy to come by in this day and age. She has a way of letting you know that things are going to be okay just by the look in her eyes. A look that almost makes the tears flow back up your face and disappear as if they were never there in the first place.

Strength above all is rare in a woman, yet somehow my mom finds a way to radiate courage in anything and everything that she does.

I hate to say it, but I know that the woman cries. Only very few times, however, have I seen her cry in front of me. Even in her hardest times, a facade is put on in order to make those around her happier. The strength that she has is overcoming of all other emotions and projects on to those around her. One conversation with her and I feel like I can conquer the world.

My mom is smart in a way that's different from others - a type of brilliance that doesn't leave you wondering what degree she has, but rather what life experiences have brought her this type of wisdom. I envy this about her more than any other trait that she holds. Whether it be a random fact, or a monologue of advice, there is no end to the knowledge that she can speak. With any question that I have, there is no hesitation as to her being the first person that I am asking.

They say that watching your mom grow older is the hardest thing that you'll ever have to do. But I personally think it's me getting older and not being able to be around as much to give back the love that she deserves. I figured out the value of having a mom who loves you unconditionally much later than I wanted to and now I'm two states away, missing her more and more every day.

So, hug your mom because even though she will have taught you that you can, in fact, do it on your own, you're still going to need her. Being this far away from my best friend is the hardest thing that I've ever had to do. But I'm here. Because my mom has inconspicuously drilled the fact that I need to follow my dreams into my head. I count down the days until I can see her again. But for now, I'll settle for hourly phone calls involving me informing her on the weather. Or how cute the kid that just walked by was. Or how my iced coffee was exceptionally good this morning.

I wish I could go back and time and tell myself what I know now. Maybe I would've actually listened to her advice on what girls to be friends with and what guys to date. Because as much as I hate to admit it, she somehow always ended up being right.

Thank you, mom,

I love you endlessly.