To The Moms We Never See Enough Of, Now That We're In College

If I were to dream of being rich, it’d be so we could visit more often.

657

Mom, I love you. I don't say it enough to you. I know it was hard letting me go, especially since I moved 2,000 miles away. But I want you to know, I appreciate all the love and support you've given me over the years. Both when I lived under the same roof as yours, and now that I'm on the other side of the country. You've always been my rock, the person I can count on when I need it the most.

I'm writing this letter because I don't see you very often and I wish I could. Moving away, being a broke college girl, from a family with not a lot is hard. It means I can't fly home whenever I want and you can't fly here whenever you want. It means we're left with a few days before we have to return to work instead of a month-long vacation of catching up and enjoying each others company. It means every time I get to see you, I learn to appreciate the time spent together even more. If I were to dream of being rich, it'd be so we could visit more often.

I'm sorry I didn't call a lot the first semester. It's one of my biggest regrets. Coming home for the first time in six months that first year was eye-opening. I didn't realize how much I had missed you or how hard it would be every time we had to say goodbye. I appreciate you staying strong with me over the last year and I know we'll survive the next three.

To the Mom I don't see often enough, I love you with all my heart! And I hope you know I count down the days until we can see each other again. Saying goodbye is really hard, and saying hello never comes soon enough. I promise I'll call more often, try to fly home more than twice a year, but most of all I promise to never let you forget how much I love and appreciate all you do for me.

The reason I'm here, on my own, surviving is because of you. You taught me to go after my dreams even when the journey is difficult. You taught me to provide for myself, budget, and the gift that is coupons and sales. You're the reason I'm the strong young woman I am. If it weren't for you I wouldn't have been able to achieve the accomplishments I have and to continue to pursue new ones. Your kindness inspires me and I aim to follow in your footsteps.

I don't like to say goodbye, only see you later. I love you, mom! And I can't wait to come home this winter. This may be my full-time residence for the time being but it'll never fully be home as long as you're not here.