When Your Mom Is Your Best Friend Everything Is Okay

To the world, you are a mom. To your daughter, you are the world.

26
n/a

While every other college kid is hitting the wild parties at the beach with their friends, I found myself traveling with my mom. I wondered if i was weird for this, but in all honesty, I didn't care. I wanted to travel with her. I had a blast doing it too. All throughout high school and my teen years, the hormones and angst got to me. My mom and I fought a lot (what teenage daughter and mom don't?), but for some reason, we always got over it. I always still wanted to come home and tell her about my day, even if I wanted to rip her head off the day before. Going off to college made me realize why this happened. She's my best friend and here's why.

All that I am today, I owe to her. She pushed me to reach my full potential my entire life. Even when I didn't want to do something, she made me. If I wasn't forced, I was guilt tripped into it, but trust me, I didn't go down without a fight.

Home really feels like home because of her. People may say I'm spoiled, but I like to think of it as my mom was just taking care of me. Before going off to school, I never cleaned and did laundry. If I was too lazy to get up to get a snack, she'd get it for me. She always knew how to fix things or find something that was definitely lost before she went in my room. Coming home for the first time felt amazing because it hit me how much I missed and relied on her.

Every day I go about my life, but there are some days where I have to stop myself because I question whether something just came out of my mouth or not. It's like my mom is speaking for. I feel crazy, but I never know what to think, because part of me is scared and confused, but the other part is laughing and loves it.

I don't know about the rest of us college kids, but I can't go a day without talking to my mom. Whether it's trash talking, complaining about how stressful my life is, or telling her about the good (or bad) grade I just made, she's always willing to listen and be there for me.

Day by day go by. Chores are done. Lunches were made. 'Have a great day' texts are sent. Love is shared and so much more. Moms seriously don't get the credit they deserve. On top of their careers, being a mom is a job in itself. You don't hear it enough, but you rock mom! Thank you so much for all you do. I will never be able to say that enough.

She gets me. She accepts that I'm crazy, weird, funny, goofy, and did I mention crazy? Even when I yell at her, she knows why and gives it right back to put me in my place and make sure I'm calm again. She completes me. Where I lack, she covers. We're the complete package together.

I always thought of my mom as just that, my mom. As I've gotten older, I've realized she's so much more than that. She's my number one fan. She's my hardest critic. She's my conscience. She's my level head. She's my biggest influence. She's my mom. She's my best friend. Moms are who know us best and love us the most.