My Mom Has Cancer And She's The Strongest Person I Know

This story is for you, Mom.

1466
Author's photo

“Cancer.” It is a word that everyone fears. It makes everyone run away from the pain this disease causes. Everyone is scared their doctor will have to tell them that they have this awful disease. Or they are scared that a doctor will have to tell this to their loved ones. It is such a disgusting word, and it is understandable why people fear it. But in this case, my mom looks cancer directly in the eye and says, “No, how about YOU fear me?”

This past year has been such a dramatic change in my life. My mom was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. I am not going to lie and tell you it was all butterflies and rainbows. Honestly, it flipped my whole world upside down. Knowing how much agony this caused my mom was unbearable since she has always been my built-in best friend.

We always went shopping together (for me, of course). We always went to the movies together, and always bought popcorn that was too big for both of us to finish. Obviously, we still went out for dinner after that where I told her everything. Those nights started to vanish so fast I couldn’t catch my breath.

I started college a couple months ago and it has been very tough to not be around her. To come home to her looking different and feeling different was so hard to handle. It was a lot, maybe too much. But since I’ve gotten here I’ve learned a lot. Not only about my mom, but also about myself.

I’ve learned that my mom is the strongest person I know and this is why. She gets up every morning. She can look herself in the mirror and still stay positive. She still loves who she is even with what she is going through. She is fighting this and she isn’t giving up till it’s the last thing she does.

Going away and not being around her has made me appreciate her even more than I did before. I am so blessed that I can call her and still argue with her over basically anything. She has constantly reminded me that I will be okay and that I need to start loving myself like she loves me.

She is always there for me no matter what, and it is time I started believing her. I’ve learned that I am strong and there is no pain in the world that is going to destroy me. I have her to thank for that.

For all the people out there with loved ones who have cancer, you are not alone. You have the courage to be strong too. I am telling this story to you.

For all the people who have it, do not fear cancer! Like my mom, make it fear you.