My Mom Is Hands-Down My Best Friend In The World

My Mom Is My Best Friend In The Whole Entire World But It Wasn't Always Like That

I can't tell you why I was such an obnoxious 15-year-old girl, but now a few years later, I've grown and my mom is literally my best friend.

881
Dana LeBron

My mom is hands-down my best friend in the whole world. Everyone always says that it would happen, but it's crazy to see that it's true! Leaving my mean teenage years behind, I can't help but wonder why I was so rude towards my mom. Now, don't get me wrong, I wasn't some terrible child that always got into trouble. However, for some reason, I would be annoyed with anything my mom said. Why? I can't tell you. But I can't help but blame it on the teenage years.

However, after graduating from high school, something changed. Maybe it is because I felt like I was an 'adult' or had more independence, but soon my mom came to be my best friend. She became the person that I would call when I needed to just spill the tea or the first person I would think of when I got news—good or bad. Now, I love my mom so much more than you can ever imagine, but somehow going off to college has made my love grow more.

Growing up, I never understood why she enforced certain things or made me do certain tasks, but looking back, she was literally the best mom I could ever have! She let me be a kid and have fun because she knew that it would all pay off in the long run. She always taught me important life lessons and raised me well, which is why I am the way I am today. So although I did not have a job in high school and didn't have several chores around the house, I was taught that not everyone had the freedom that I did. Because I didn't have a job, I had to focus on other things like school and extra-circular activities. My job was to be a kid.

Now in college, I can see how my much my mom (and dad) have done for me. They raised me to be the best version of myself and I am so thankful of that. I feel like no matter what the situation is, I can always tell my mom. No judging, just listening and giving advice. She was my age years ago, so it's really not some 'scary' thing that people think of when people talk to their mom about situations they can get themselves into at my age. Because believe or not, your mom went through the same things that you did. She's been through the bad grades, breakups, friendships—she'd been through it all too!

So to the teenage girl reading this, trust me, your mom will always be by your side. She might get on your nerves at times, but she's trying to do what's best for you because she loves you. Arriving home from my second year of college, I can't wait to wake up in my old bed and go downstairs to have morning coffee and chats with my mom. I can honestly say it is the best part of being home. I talk to my mom every single day on the phone, and sometimes even more than that! She keeps me sane and calm and I love her so much for that. She knows me better than anyone else, and that's exactly why my mom is my best friend in the entire world—even though it wasn't always like that.

I hope this inspires you to give your mom an extra hug or thank you this upcoming Sunday for Mother's Day. For those still in the teenage years, heed my words!