my first internship

A Thank You Letter To My First Internship, The MoCo Show

It all started with a simple email

88

For the past 48 hours, I have been racking my brain in finding a topic to write about for this week. Until around 3 am it came to me! Why don't I write an article regarding my internship? Since Summer is coming to an end, I think it's important to reflect on of my biggest successes of the summer. So, this article is to the MoCo Show, the internship that changed me for the better.

Dear the MoCo Show/my boss, Alex

In June, I sent you an email with a doubt that I would hear back and a simple dream to write for the MoCo Show blog. You responded, enthusiastic about the idea of an internship and helped ignite the fire of my passion for this beautiful county; we call home.

You asked if I had any ideas. I was so excited because I had dreamt of creating, "Humans of MoCo" for so long that I couldn't believe that I had an opportunity for it ACTUALLY to come true. I explained my idea, and you were thrilled! I was so happy that I began to think of stories right away.

About two weeks later it went live. I was introduced as the blog's new writer and became Editor in chief of UMD's Odyssey all in the same day. To this day, that has become one of my happiest memory of Summer 2018.

This internship has taught me so much that I am afraid to go overboard while writing this. But hey, I am a writer, and this is what I do. So, I'll try to be brief. (After all, we are busy people)

First off, this internship taught me to explore our beautiful, Montgomery County. I went out and interviewed people. I heard their stories and experiences, and I used a platform to tell a story. I have had the opportunity to be a part of this community and help create a glimpse of what it consisted off. I am so honored to do. I was so inspired by the project, "Humans of New York" and I believe that everyone's story is unique and beautiful and being able to use a platform and voice to share the people of Montgomery County is an incredible possibility.

Secondly, this internship increased my confidence. I had people all over social media and real life tell me what I am doing is amazing. I have to agree, it truly is amazing. My time working for the MoCo show has aroused my passion for writing and my confidence as a writer.

I am a journalist and a damn good one too.

So, Alex and the MoCo Show, thank you for believing in me. Thank you for giving me a platform to use my voice and passion. With this opportunity I know I can go someplace with more opportunities. But to me, The MoCo show will always be one of the best parts of my summer and forever my home.

Thank you,

- Ambika Narula