Why Moana is Officially My New Favorite Disney Princess

"Moana" is also probably my new favorite Disney movie. Of all time.

93
Rotoscopers.com

If any of you out there haven't seen the new Disney movie "Moana", stop reading this article and get yourself to the nearest movie theater to see it. No, I'm not paid to say that, I just believe with all my heart in this movie. There are so many wonderful elements within it, so many beautiful motifs and messages to be heard from this piece of art.

The first thing that made me love this movie was of course the soundtrack. The music was a collaboration among Lin-Manuel Miranda, Opetaia Foa'i, and Mark Mancina. Yeah, this movie had me at "Lin-Manuel Miranda". In case you live under a rock, he wrote one of the most amazing musicals, "Hamilton". He has written more than just that musical, and he's a musical genius. All his lyrics are beautiful and all his music ties in with other music later or earlier in whatever piece he writes. I wish I had his musical genius. But I am just as blessed to be able to hear all his music.

Without spoiling too much of the movie, one of the recurring themes in the movie is loss of identity/finding identity. As someone who is entering adulthood, and trying to find my footing, I identified strongly with these motifs. I cried multiple times in the theater, because the emotion Moana feels is emotion that I have recently felt and am in some ways, still feel. Moana struggles between who the rest of the world says she is and who she feels she is. She doesn't know exactly who she is, but the label and position the world has given her doesn't feel entirely right. She is constantly told that she needs to learn how to be happy where she is.

I have been constantly told to be happy where I am. There's a good lesson to be learned about contentment, but if you have felt like me or Moana feels, you know that's easier said than done. People can try to tell you who you are all that they want. They can try to fit you in a hole that is shaped like a triangle when you are a square. But no matter how often you are told who you are, you can't shake the feeling you are not who others say you are. Which is totally right to feel. Ultimately, no one can tell you who you are. You tell yourself who you are.

So, long story short, "Moana" is a coming-of-age story. This is a very common story. But what makes Moana particularly interesting is it introduces an idea that differs from most coming-of-age stories. You see, Moana suggests that you are not entirely a new being, nor are you a cookie-cutter human being. What makes you who you are is partially the people who came before you, and who you are now. I am taking a sociology class right now, and that's basically what sociology is about-- acknowledging that our identities are partially made of other people. Coincidence that the supporting character is a shape-shifter? Perhaps.

While I could analyze and theorize about this movie for hours, I'll spare you. Please, go see this movie. It's adorable, beautiful, and funny. The lessons I learned from it will stick with me for a long time, and I'm so glad this piece of art exists. I know I will be listening to the soundtrack on my long commutes and owning the movie in the future (I have already seen it twice in theatres...will it surpass my record with The Force Awakens? Who knows?).