Missouri Sounds like Misery for a Reason

I Would Walk 1,830 miles.....

1183
PHS View

Google says that the distance between Burbank and my hometown of St. Louis, Missouri, is a day and an hour's drive away – approximately 1,830 miles. That's how far away I am from home. I'm 1,830 miles away from my family, my friends, my dog, and most importantly, Imo's Pizza, a St. Louis delicacy.

I was excited when I got into Woodbury, of course – I had gotten into my top choice school that wasn't for theatre (I had applied to Juilliard, but decided it wasn't for me), and I was more than excited to be out of the unpredictability of Midwestern weather patterns (Tornadoes, anyone?). But I hadn't thought about all that I was leaving behind. I was going from the biggest little city in Missouri and an 18-student senior class, to the big leagues to chase my acting dreams in LA. Alone. That hadn't hit me until after my parents were gone.

As a kid, I wasn't the homesick type. I was always independent and could handle being on my own. I was even more excited to leave for college - I would always say:

"Missouri sounds like 'Misery' for a reason... I can't wait to move to LA."

I was okay for the first few days... and then I realized I was actually on my own. I was literally an 'adult'. I had to do things on my own, and I couldn't call on my mom and dad to fix whatever messes I made, or give me money for mani-pedis at the mall. I was really sad, I cried a little bit, and called my parents to make it okay, but I still wished they were there. But they were halfway across the country. Luckily, I had an amazing friend in my roommate Grace, who helped me through my homesick blues. I made a few other friends as well- who took me to places I had never been, and would stay up with me for all night cram sessions ad 7/11 runs.The first semester breezed by, and I was excited to go home for break, but I was even more excited to come back to school once it was over! I missed my California friends so much that it was unreal. I had so many experiences that I could share with people, and was able to make new connections that could benefit my future. 3 years have gone by... and I can safely say, after graduation I'm probably never coming back.

Sometimes not being home is hard, of course – I feel like I'm missing out on a lot by not being at the same university that most of my friends went to, but I know that I am loved from 1,830 miles away, and that keeps me going.