Everything I'll Miss About Penn State When I Study Abroad

PSA: This list definitely doesn't include the hour and a half long Pman's line...

29

For my Spring semester of Junior year, I will be traveling to Granada, Spain to explore and learn in a new and invigorating environment. As excited and nervous as I am about my endeavor, there are many places, people, and things that I am leaving behind.

Here are some of my favorite things about Penn State that I will definitely miss during my abroad experience:

1. Seeing familiar faces on my long walks to class. 

Although I will come to know people in Granada as time progresses, there are many friendly faces that I see every day on campus that won't be traveling along with me!

2. Grabbing a pitcher with friends at Cafe 210 West. 

There's truly something about winding the school week down over some pitchers and table of friends at Cafe 210...

3. Seeing my favorite baristas at the downtown Starbucks.

They've seen me at 7 A.M. when I'm struggling to get out a sentence and 7 P.M. when I'm cramming for an exam and refilling my cup at least three times. Luckily, the coffee in Spain is strong and tasty— I'll definitely be spending lots of time at coffee shops and getting to know the friendly faces that craft my drinks.

4. Game days.

Truly nothing more wholesome then family tailgates outside of Beaver Stadium with all the food and drinks you can imagine.

5. THON.

This is probably the most bittersweet thing about spending the Spring in Spain...missing Penn State's 46-hour dance marathon For The Kids. On the bright side, I can live stream the event and support my organization's dancers and families from across the pond.

6. The Waffle Shop on Sunday mornings. 

The best way to cure a hangover and piece together a Friday or Saturday night is chocolate chip pancakes, hash browns, and endless cups of coffee at the Waffle Shop. I'll definitely miss mornings spent here with my roommates.

7. The domesticated squirrels (yeah, seriously...).

They're entertaining, okay?????

8. The Arboretum.

One of my favorite spots to lay out with snacks and some music when the weather warms up. Luckily for me, Granada has amazing gardens and views that will do just the trick!

9. The Creamery. 

Anyone who knows me knows I have a Creamery ritual. I make sure to get there at least once a month to try each month's feature flavor (but, I usually make it there at least three times...oops). I'll be swapping Berkey Creamery's best with gelato this Spring...

10. Meeting up with friends at Saint's Cafe for good conversation.

This is my favorite place to go alone or with one friend and disconnect. No phones or social media. Just a cappuccino and good (sometimes deep) conversation. The environment at Saint's feels like a State College escape for a minute.

11. Tadashi.

Best sushi. BYOB. New location.

One of my favorite spots that I won't be able to live without...

12. Climbing Mt. Nittany when it gets warm.

A view of Happy Valley and a good hike has always been a great way to spend a weekend in the Spring at Penn State. This Spring, I'll have a change of scenery and hiking routes for sure!