The Five Stages Of Grief: Missing Your College Bestie

The 5 Stages Of Grief: Missing Your College Bestie

Eventually you get to accepting it...or do you?

320
@rachnicc via Instagram

Like many people, I have a best friend that comes from a different hometown than I do, and as such, we have to be apart during the summer months since we have yet to fully move to our college town. I thought that it wouldn't be so so bad--we have Skype, after all, and it's just three months.

That's what I thought.

In reality, it isn't that easy--this person is a huge part of your life, and you love them lots, so being away from them isn't easy. And I'm sure people also missing their besties can identify with these five stages of grief.

1. Denial

It's just a couple months. It's fine. We have Skype. It's fine. We can do this. You spend a good while sitting there convincing yourself that while yeah, you miss them, it's not THAT bad. You can do three months.

2. Anger

YOU CAN'T DO THREE MONTHS. Three months is so long! Why do you have to be apart for so long?! There is no justice in a world that dares separate you and your best friend for this long.

3. Bargaining

All you want is to see your bestie, but for many reasons, it's not a smart decision, leading you to make small compromises like, "Okay, if I go to work like a normal person instead of driving impromptu to Oregon to give my bestie a hug, I'll let myself take a nap before I have to work. That'll help distract me."

4. Depression

YOU JUST WANT TO GIVE YOUR BESTIE A HUG AND HANG OUT WITH THEM BECAUSE YOU LOVE THEM SO MUCH. Your schedules probably aren't aligning right, you probably haven't Skyped them in a while, and you just miss them so much it hurts. You won't be able to last the however many months you have left.

5. Acceptance

So you won't see your bestie for a little while. It's fine. It's alright. You can deal with it. Your friendship can endure a couple months, and you will be alright. You have that willpower.

NAH. More like you exchange texts with your bestie every single day until you get to meet again, talking about how much you miss each other and counting down the days. But your separation will come to an end, you'll see each other again, and it'll be okay.

And in the meantime, just agonize about it together.