20 Things I Miss Most About Living In Europe

Europeans do it better.

626
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/12/12/6364869195357472121293120893_anthony-delanoix-48936.jpg

It’s been almost a year since I departed for London. I reflect on my time in Europe often - it gave me the best time of my life. The lifestyle of a European is just something I identify with, and something I miss daily. There are many things that Europe does better than the US - things that were all too easy to get used to and take for granted.

Someday (soon) I’ll ditch the USA for Europe. Until then, in no order… the things I miss most about living in Europe:

1. The weather

Unpopular opinion - I loved the mild weather found in many countries in Europe. Never too hot, never too cold… all you need is a light jacket.

2. The fashion

In that same vein, no need for Canada Goose down jackets that hit your ankles in the winter. Instead, you’re warm enough in a lined leather jacket or a denim jacket over a sweater. SO much more room for fun with fashion. Not to mention, European fashion is just better. I was shopping trends months before they hit the US – we really follow Europe when it comes to our fun statement pieces. Anything goes.

3. Harrod’s, Selfridges, Fortnum & Mason…

The shopping in Europe is obviously paramount, but London department stores have everyone beat. Harrod’s feels like you’re walking through an amusement park, and Fortnum & Mason basically perfected the idea of British tea that you’ve always imagined.

4. Public transportation

A bit of a practical note, but I miss it terribly nonetheless - the Tube, or London Underground, is the perfect underground transport. So clean, so fast, so safe. Throughout Europe, cities have great trains, trams and bus systems - you’d never even need a car. It’s just the more efficient way. I can get across a city the size of London in under thirty minutes. Incredible.

5. Cheap wine

Okay, not only is the wine cheaper, it’s just better. Seriously, my favorite wine for a while was a Sainsbury’s brand (think – actual Kroger brand wine) that cost me 4 pounds. Also, much better hangovers º fewer sulfites. Which means I could drink it every night. Oh, how I miss that.

6. Art galleries

The most incredible art in the world is held in Europe, and even galleries or museums that don’t house the heavy hitters are curated so well (Think: Saatchi Gallery). I visited at least one every week, catching rotating exhibits and seeing art I never thought I’d see.

7. Drinking wine at the movie theater

Okay, I promise this is the only other point about wine – why didn’t I think of this? I’d catch movies and get a popcorn and a glass of wine. Admittedly, I have seen some theaters in the US are catching on… why not?

8. The pace

Every day around 4:30, local parks would fill up with men and women in their business suits on the way home from work. They’d lay down, using their briefcase as their pillow, and take a few minutes to relax. Definitely, something to be said for taking things slow and enjoying life a little more.

9. Fast food chains in Europe > USA

USA is home to Wendy’s, McDonald’s, Chik Fil A… Not that they’re necessarily bad, but they don’t measure up to the quick stops in Europe. From brasseries to cafes, places like Leon (natural & healthy fusion), Joe & the Juice (cafe style sandwiches) and Pret a Manger (soups, salads, sandwiches) have redefined ‘fast’. Fast food doesn’t need to make you feel like shit, promise.

10. University

Students in the UK and a lot of Europe follow what they call ‘independent study’, where basically the students are responsible for how much they learn and have to do a lot on their own time. Picture this: class once a week, zero homework, one or two assignments at the end of the semester. It’s heaven.

11. Ryanair

And other inexpensive travel, really – I visited 12 countries and 24 cities when I was in Europe, and I actually flew to the south of France for 10 pounds – no joke.

12. Happy hour… all the time

Wine for breakfast! Sorry, another point on wine – and all alcohol, really. Think bottomless prosecco instead of bottomless mimosas. Who are we kidding? Beer is a suitable drink really any time of day, and there is a super fun drink-after-work culture daily in Europe. Another point to be made about the pace of things.

13. Architecture

While this one may be obvious, it needs to be mentioned – every street you’re on in Europe seems like it has such a dreamy old building. Even the residential streets have such character. One word: castles.

14. NHS

National Health Services in England. I walked into an urgent care clinic and was seen in an hour, gave the receptionist my name and phone number, got diagnosed with pneumonia and left with my prescriptions and an inhaler in hand. No questions asked. For freeeee. ‘Nuff said.

15. Diversity

The difference in people, places, and cultures in Europe is astounding. The US is diverse as well, but Europe and it’s international cities are really unmatched.

16. Cider

Slowly coming around in the US, cider is a staple at every bar in Europe. Good cider is so, so good. It deserves better.

17. Gelato

Like, real gelato.

18. Events

Fashion weeks, movie premieres, movie filming… Cities like London and Paris are filled with amazing high profile events that are enjoyed by everyone, locals and celebrities alike. Once my friend saw Liam Neeson filming the Love Actually sequel. Super casual.

19. Boots

Boots is a drugstore in the UK. Imagine Walgreens or CVS ––similar prices, similar items–– now add two floors and luxury makeup brands. All I need.

20. Inspiration

Walking the streets, getting lost, living like a local in such an amazing place… the feeling that Europe gives you is what I miss most.