10 Things You'll Miss About College Over The Summer

All the amazing things about your home away from home.

298
Lindsey Byster

College can be a very stressful time filled with endless papers, exams, and activities. While it may seem like too much to handle at times, college is so rewarding and exciting in the end. The fun social scene and high energy on campus are certainly aspects about college I am going to miss. While people are gearing up for a fun summer away from the endless hours spent in the library, we should also take in every moment we have left of the school year before it’s gone. Here are 10 things I, and hopefully you too, will miss about college over the summer.

1. Your college friends

High school friends are amazing, but you’ve just spent a whole year constantly surrounded by your college BFFs. It’s going to be a weird transition from seeing your college friends every day to not at all. You’ve had some of the best times, and maybe some of the worst times, but they’re your good friends and being apart is super upsetting.

2. The parties

While college is about academics and making friends, the party scene is certainly fun. I’m going to miss running around Frat Row to the different parties and dancing with all my friends.

3. Independence

I am going to miss making all of my own decisions. What to eat and when, where to do my work, when I should wake up, and everything other decision that I have to make on a daily basis. It is up to ourselves to be productive and stay healthy in college. Having the freedom to make all of my own choices is something I will miss.

4. There always being something to do

At least at my school, every corner I turn I see a new event going on. Our main quad is always in use, whether it be for a concert, farmer’s market, sports game, or something else. There are always other tours, events, and much more going on and there is never a lack of activities to join in on. On most nights there are events hosted in one of the specific schools or through the residential housing programs.

5. Campus

Our campus is so beautiful. Most college campuses around the country and world also stunning. Getting to walk from class to class or just sit outside is such a pleasure. The endless fountains and gardens in addition to the beautiful new structures and brick buildings makes me feel so happy to be on campus. Looking around our campus will never get old, and I will miss getting to wake up to it every day.

6. Activities

The activities I am in involved in are so unique and special. I will miss getting to produce a TV show and meet cool new guest artists every week. I will miss going to my teacher for singing lessons. I will miss going to the specific clubs USC has while at home over the summer.

7. Being in LA

Being from Chicago, Los Angeles is quite different from what I’m used to. It was always my dream to get to live in LA, and I never take the opportunities available here for granted. From the easy access to the beach and Disneyland to Hollywood and film studios, there are many amazing LA places I can’t Uber to when in Chicago. Also, the weather year-round is beautiful and I will miss the palm trees and cool air every day.

8. The opportunities that college offers

Every college offers amazing opportunities to network with successful adults in your preferred field, as well as events and talks with special guests, and all the other things that go on. I get emails about famous people coming to talk to us in the film school, which I won’t be able to spontaneously attend when I am home in the summer.

9. Living with your friends

Family is amazing, but it is so much fun to just walk into the room next door and hang with your friends. Everyone being in such close proximity is so convenient and fun, and it makes hanging out easier and brings everyone closer together.

10. The school itself

Overall, I will miss my school. I will miss the little aspects about USC, but also the general idea of USC. USC is a place for students to thrive, grow, and learn, all while having the best time ever. I will definitely miss living the Trojan lifestyle every day, but I know that no matter where I am in the world, I am and always will be a Trojan. Fight on!

I’m sure most students will think about how much they miss these different aspects of college at some point throughout the summer. With that said, please enjoy what is left of the year because once summer hits, you’ll be secretly (or not so secretly) anxious to step back onto your home away from home.