Girls in Today’s World: Why Society Continues to Ridicule Us

“A gender equal society would be one where the word ‘gender’ does not exist: where everyone can be themselves.”— Gloria Steinem

1227
http://www.humanengineers.com/hr_library/gender-equality-remains-elusive-women-workers-especially-color/
Google

This is a response to Why Do We Shame Young Girls For Their Music Tastes? Music Snobbery and Misogyny.

Women and girls have always been the target of hatred in society since forever.

Whether this ranges from our clothing options, our taste in movies, TV shows, music, and even how we look and present ourselves, we have always been the center of attention when it comes to something to ridicule.

One example that comes to mind is Superheroes. I remember a very specific time in my life when I was so obsessed with Marvel— and currently still obsessing. When I would make that public, there were many boys that thought it was so unnatural. You would think they would find it cool that girls would be into Superheroes because boys are usually into that sort of stuff. But no. We unfortunately can not like Superheroes without boys telling girls that it is considered nerdy for us to like them, but not the same in return.

I bet there was a time a boy criticized you for that certain celebrity you obsess over. The amount of boys I've seen on TikTok attack girls for showing interest in singer Harry Styles was actually embarrassing— for the boys of course, because there should be no shame in liking someone that you admire. The fact that they care so little about themselves and then go on to criticize girls for liking someone who wears nail polish is ridiculous.

Men are no strangers to showing their misogynistic thoughts that are on display for everyone to see. Their lack of compassion for women extends farther than what we are passionate about. Men have been pretty good in fulfilling gendering every aspect of society, making it known to the public which things belong to which gender.

No matter what we do, men and boys will always find a way to belittle us. They will poke fun at any interest us girls hold and not give a care in the world about how we feel after.

So whatever you wear, watch, listen to, and how you look and present yourself, don’t let any guy get in the way of you and how you live your life. It is important to remain true to yourself and try to tear down the stereotypes presented within gender that do not belong to anyone.