Why Does Misery Seem To Be The Latest Trend?

With all of the tragedy and hardship in the world, we need a little sunlight to remind us of the endless possibilities for greatness that still lay ahead.

214

Growing up, my parents used to always warn me against certain things saying "misery loves company" but what exactly does this mean? To me, it has always meant that it's important to actively choose the people and the circumstances you choose to involve yourself with. Misery can creep up on you and follow you like a looming grey cloud and make you feel trapped when, in reality, there is always a way out. You are the sole decider of your happiness. However, this is much easier said than done. It's incredibly difficult to remain positive when you're surrounded by negativity. It seems to me that apart from hideously chunky sneakers and going to raves, misery seems to prevail at the top of the trend list.

I'm sure we've all gone through That Phase at some point or another. Yeah, you know what I mean. That emo, I-only-listen-to-moody-alternative-music-because-I'm-different phase where we posted cringe-y updates about heartbreak and sadness on our status updates. Somewhere along a long line of trendsetting someone messed up, big time. To them, being unhappy and moody translated to having a deeper sense of understanding of the world and heightened maturity. Even today I see younger kids feigning a depressed and "deep" presence on social media when I know that they're much different in real life. Why is it that kids are defining themselves with negativity to place themselves in the status quo?

We've grown up and come a long way from there, or so we'd like to think. In reality, I've found that we have simply transformed the way in which we allow ourselves to channel this negativity. How often do we find ourselves complaining about trivial matters: bad weather, poor traffic, conflicts with friends and family? And, what's worse is that we aren't just expressing these inconveniences but we're actually using them as a way to connect and bond with others. Out of all the things you have to offer, why would you immediately choose something negative to share? This happens so often it goes undetected and, instead, manifests itself as a subconscious habit.

One of my biggest pet peeves is people who complain too much. Regular inconveniences are an ugly part of life we all have to endure. Everyone has their own problems, everyone has things they don't want to deal with. With this in mind, what makes you think anyone has the attention span to listen to all your complaints when they have their own? I don't understand how people can just live their lives moving from one complaint to another and then wonder why they're so unhappy.

The thing about complaining is that it isn't just a burden for those who have to listen; complaining places the things you dislike most at the forefront of your consciousness. When you allow this negativity to linger it becomes an ever-present entity rather than a fleeting emotion. Sure, complaining every once in a while is a natural and, dare I say, healthy method of expressing frustration, but keep in mind that it can easily be the gateway to prolonged dismay.

Now, more than ever, we need to try and focus on the good in order to inspire change and positive growth on a global scale. Even the smallest change of bonding with strangers or fellow classmates over something positive rather than something negative can make a difference. With all of the tragedy and hardship in the world, we need a little sunlight to remind us of the endless possibilities for greatness that still lay ahead.