4 Misconceptions About Tarot Cards

4 Misconceptions About Tarot Cards — Trust Me, I'm From A Christian Family And Have Heard It All

4 very FALSE myths about tarot cards that have been spread for centuries.

237
tarot cards

As someone in a deeply Christian family who uses tarot cards, I've heard every misconception in the world about the cards I own. I've been called a Satanist, a sinner, and a weirdo for believing that the cards can not only predict my future but help me solve problems that I seem to be stuck in.

So, what is tarot?

Tarot cards were created and used in the mid-15th century across Europe. While they were originally a pack of playing cards, the occult (witchcraft, Wicca, Paganism, and the like) began to use these as a form of divination in the 18th century. Once picked up by the occult, the churches across Europe who considered divination to be working with the devil demonized these cards.

1. Tarot cards work with the devil.

halloween picture with pumpkins and candles

by Freestocks on Unsplash

This is one of the biggest misconceptions within tarot.

Tarot does not work with evil spirits, or any spirits of that matter, unless you ask for it.

While it is possible for evil spirits already attached to you to come through, evil spirits cannot appear out of thin air simply because you wanted to use tarot. In fact, using tarot is the exact opposite.

You can work with whatever you believe in whether it's a single god/goddess, multiple god/goddesses, guardian angels, or even your higher self since they are there to help you.

Believe it or not, these cards can channel the messages they are trying to send you that you cannot hear in the physical realm.

2. The death card means you'll die.

hand coming up from the water

Unsplash

I remember when I first got a tarot reading from my friend, and I got the death card. I was certain I was going to die for a solid five seconds. However, the major arcana don't always have literal meanings.

While death in it's literal meaning is scary, its underlying meaning simply means that there will be a huge ending that will cause you to be able to start something new.

3. You need to have a supernatural gift to use them.

sign that reads "Psychic"

Unsplash

The great thing about tarot is that everyone can use them! Before I started, I always thought that I had to have a supernatural gift to be able to read these cards.

It's all about whatever meaning the cards have and the meaning you pick up when the cards are laid out. It can include messages from the pictures that are on the cards.

4. The future card is definite.

Sign that says "Change is coming"

Unsplash

Cards in tarot spreads can never fully predict your future. Every choice we make counts towards our future and affects the outcome. For example, you may have a great future prediction in your relationship, but if you turn into a bad lover, that outcome will change.

The future cards are simply there to let you know that with the path you're going down, that is more than likely the outcome.