Miscommunication With Social Media

Miscommunication With Social Media

Assumptions sucks

We live in the age of miscommunication. Social media and other forms of communication have been a tremendous help but it also has its flaws. People learn less and less on how to actually communicate properly. While we may be able to communicate more effectively with people that aren't in the near vicinity, it also opens more ways to misinterpret the message.

Now I am grateful for social media and the Internet for real-time communication because I am in a long distance relationship. This makes it easier for me and my fiancee to communicate in real-time, rather than waiting for a letter in the mail or using a landline for a phone call. Technology has advanced so much over the last two decades that it changed the way people communicate so fast. That people didn't have a chance to find a proper way to use it to communicate efficiently.

It's so easy to misinterpret and misunderstand someone's actual intentions and meaning to the message because through text it sounds like something else. What we say in person is a lot different than what we say through text message, not just by the words, but by the tone you actually say it in, the body language you give out and the eye contact you use. You can't tell any of that through a text message. So while you can say the same thing in real life and through texting, you will get vastly different responses to the people who don't know how you would convey the actual message in real life.

Now speaking of misunderstanding, anyone who's in any relationship can understand that it's a daily thing. Especially those who are in a long distance relationship. Misunderstanding your significant other can be easily done through the misinterpretation of their text messages. While technology has given us the utmost advantages with communication, we the people have yet to understand how to communicate without there being any miscommunication. This is a huge problem for a lot of people in today's society. We live in the age where grown people like to hide behind their keyboards and say things they really want to say but won't say it in real life. So when couples text each other through various forms of social media, it can be deceiving. Most people won't be able to pull off that kind conversation in real life.

So when you talk to one another, try to not assume so much. In regards to the way someone texts you because of you may get the wrong idea and take the actual message and intention out of context. If someone just say "hey whats up" instead of saying "how are you doing?" while they both are different words, they do mean the same thing depending on the context and how the communication relationship you have with that other person is. It's important to talk to the other person and understand their intentions, how they actually talk, and don't assume because of ignorance.