Minnesota is such a beautiful state, along with the people who live there. So, why does everyone criticize Minnesotans for living there? There's so much to do and so much to see in Minnesota, so what if it gets below freezing for four months out of the year. We love it!
Growing up and going to college in Minnesota, I still tend to get made fun of for a lot of things like my 'Minnesotan accent' (whatever that means). I have definitely been asked these questions during my 19 years of life.
All Minnesotans can probably relate to most if not all of these.
1. "Why are you wearing shorts? It's 50 degrees."
Excuse me, but it is nice outside. If the sun is shining and there's no wind in the winter months, you bet you'll find every Minnesotan outside in shorts.
2. "Casserole" or "Hot Dish"
IT'S HOT DISH NOT CASSEROLE.
3. "Are there actually 10,000 lakes in Minnesota?"
Yes, hence the nickname "Land of 10,000 Lakes".
4. "Why do you live in Minnesota? It snows all the time."
Yeah no, it doesn't snow all the time. There's this thing called summer that comes around for three months and Minnesota summers are so beautiful. Sit back by the campfire and relax.
Hey thanks for knowing where I'm from and THANK YOU for pointing out my accent. I didn't realize I emphasized my 'O's'. *rolls eyes*
6. "The mosquitoes can't be that bad in Minnesota."
Okay, so you walk around outside at 9pm in the summer and tell me what you think about that statement later. The mosquito is Minnesota's second state bird.
7. "You say 'bag' weird"
I'm proud of how I say 'bag' and you can't change it. Sorry not sorry, it's the Minnesota way.
8. "Want to play 'duck duck goose'?"
9. "Don't you just love going to the Mall of America?"
Eh, the massive crowds and tourist there drive us nuts. But, it's where we go when we want to hit up all the stores at once.
10. "Why do you get so excited about the Minnesota State Fair?"
Three words: Sweet Martha's Cookies.
11. "Have you ever met Prince?"
Uh no, but I'm sure my grandma's mom's second cousin has ran into him at Target at some point....
12. "Why do you always go to Caribou, Starbucks is better!"
No no no, you're obviously not from Minnesota if you think that Starbucks is better than Caribou.
13. "Where's 'Up North'?"
How do you not know where 'up north' is? It's literally in the name.
14. "Minneapolis is the capital, right?"
15. "What does 'Uff-Da' even mean"
Wait...you don't know what 'Uff-Da' means? Your loss.
Everybody can keep making fun of us Minnesotans for our weird lives but we love every second of living in Minnesota.