Driving On Lakes And Other Minnesotan Things

60
Uniquely Minnesota

Minnesota is hands down the best state. Besides all the pride we have for our state (and our losing sports team) we are one tough breed of people. After living out of state I have learned we have a few really unique things here that no one else gets to experience.

Driving on lakes

Once lakes freeze people actually drive their cars on them. And not their Priuses and Fiats but their Ram 1500’s. When on the lakes they then sit either on chairs or in plastic buildings and fish. In the middle of winter. In the cold. It is the most mind-blowing thing. Besides it being cold, they have no fear about their cars (or themselves) falling in.

Duck duck gray duck

Not goose. Never goose. You are wrong if you think goose is right and we will fight you on it. I promise.

Shane Co.

It’s a jewelry store here with two locations one in Burnsville and the other in Woodbury on the corner of I-94 and Radio Dr. If you don’t their commercials by heart you are not a true Minnesotan, especially around the holidays.

You betcha, Eh

It’s no secret we have one great accent. It’s impossible to over enunciate an O.

Target

You shop at Target and that’s it. Every other store is irrelevant. If you can’t get it at Target, do you really need it? It’s also the place to go if you want to run into someone you know.

“That’s spendy”

Just one of our lovely phrases that we use on the daily.

Loooong goodbyes

Our goodbyes are never ending. You say you’re leaving at 9:00pm but in Minnesota time that means 10:30pm. You have to make sure the proper goodbye is said, even if you’ll see the person tomorrow.

Winter driving

It is way different than summer driving. It’s a whole new thrill you never knew you would like until you try it. Am I driving on ice? Is this a lane? Better drive on the other side of the road to avoid the snow bank I’ll get stuck in. Oh wait there’s two lanes here, oops. Full stops are not required if no cars are coming and you’ll slide through the intersection early. Oh yeah and you better start your car ten minutes before you leave if you want it to be warm by the time you get in. Also be sure you have your ice scraper and snow brush handy January- December.

Snow emergencies

On the topic of winter be prepared for snow emergencies if you live in the city. That means you better be parked on the right side of the road or you will get one expensive ticket and tow for Christmas.

It’s called hot dish

We don’t have casseroles we have hot dishes. Deal with it. They are creamy and creepy looking but we live off of them in the dead of winter.

Wind chills

Never just read the current temp always read the ‘Feels like’ section because wind chill is a thing and it makes it’s presence known.

Mall of America

And if you want to escape all the crazy Minnesotan things there’s always the mall to remind you why you hate people. It might always be the perfect temperature inside but most people missed the be nice memo inside.

State fair

Food on a stick. That is all. Well besides the thousands of people and their sweat for the 12 days leading up to Labor Day. And we love every minute of it because it’s the best way to show our pride.