5 Mini Vacations That Won't Break The Bank

"fernweh (n.): An ache for distant places, the craving to travel."

110
touristmeetstraveler.com

Traveling seems like an unrealistic idea for college students who are working part or full time jobs and trying to pay off school books and loans, but if you’re smart about your spending, there are tons of trips out there that won’t break the bank. If you’re like me and crave traveling, whether it’s in or out of the U.S., this list is for you. Here are a few different not-so-typical vacation ideas for a quick trip to satisfy your craving.

1. Old San Juan, Puerto Rico

Almost anywhere you choose to stay in Old San Juan will put you within walking distance of the beach and some pretty amazing historical sites, so you don’t have to worry about spending money on renting a car or Ubering. Round-trip flights are around $320 if you decide to head out in July and you can find plenty of rooms for under $100 a night. If you decide to use AirBnB, which I highly recommend, you could get an entire apartment for around $80! Split that between four or five people and you’re set to go. Wander the beautiful streets of Old San Juan admiring all of the bright colors and you won’t even have to reach into your pocket, except for when you want to snap a few pictures of the sights.

2. New Orleans, Louisiana

Staying in NOLA is definitely something everyone can do, especially someone on a tight budget. Want to get away for an entire week? You can do it for around $600, flight and lodging. Stay right in the heart of the French Quarter and you won’t have to worry about transportation costs. If you don’t feel like walking though, don’t worry, there’s a trolley that only costs you $3 to ride for the whole day. Check out all the walking tours New Orleans has to offer and stop and get a $.25 margarita for the road. Yep, that’s right, you can buy a drink and take it with you wherever you decide to go. Just don’t get too scared on the ghost tours or you may spill a little bit.

3. Albuquerque, New Mexico

This may seem like a random place to have on the list, but it’s definitely not one you want to miss. Albuquerque holds an annual Balloon Fiesta in October, which I know isn’t quite summer, but it gives you some time to save up. Thousands upon thousands attend the balloon festival, and entry will only cost you $10 per person. So all that extra money can be spent from Sandia Peak to Old Town, depending on what you want to spend it on.

4. Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

If bachata and salsa are your thing, you definitely need to hit up the clubs in Santo Domingo. Being the largest city in the Caribbean by population, you’ll never be bored. If you’re looking to cut costs, then you better learn how to haggle. Of course, store prices are set, but if you’re out enjoying everything the city has to offer, including all of the different street vendors, you’ll definitely be able to make a deal with them. Just do it politely and remember that this is still their livelihood. If you can’t afford it, just say, “Gracias no, pero es demasiado caro” (No thanks, but too expensive).

5. Toronto, Canada

If you’re not a hockey fan you may want to stay away from this one, but for the rest of you this is the place to be. If you’re looking for a big, culturally diverse city, look no further. Stop at Little Italy, Greek town, Koreatown and Chinatown, all within the same day if you want. You’ll still get all the charm that Canada is known for, with a little taste of the rest of the world as well. There’s tons of shopping and nightlife, and you can watch a hockey game pretty much anywhere you walk into, because let’s face it - it’s basically a form of religion there. You won’t need to spend money on a car, because everything is right within the city.