Mind Blowing Experiences: A Drummer's Guide To Exploration

Taking your drumming to another level

15
Jewish Currents

Drumming is more than just a hobby for drummers, it's a way of life. As a drummer, there are definitely things that you can do to improve not only your drumming skills, but your perspective about drumming through a more well-rounded approach. Approach with an open mind (and just a little bit of caution!)

1. Write a song...

Like a really bad one, and just sing it at the top of your lungs while drumming to it. Very embarrassing, but I recommend you try it—and who knows? When I was eight, I was a die hard Bieber fan and drummed to every single one of his songs just to have an excuse to listen to them. When I got really bored, I would sometimes sing to myself and drum to it. My first song was called “The Way My Heart Beats,” and I will 100% sing and play it on any rainy day.

2. Try drumming to a song that doesn't have a drum beat, such as classical music.

Trust me, it is a lot more fun than you think it'll be! By doing so, you improve your ability to catch various rhythms by expanding your horizons beyond the traditional drumming music.

3. Do the opposite and drum to a song that has a beat, but play a completely different rhythm.

Another fun thing I do is drum in 3/4 measure to a 4/4 measure song; at first, it feels very hard, but after a while, you'll get the hang of it! That feeling every four measures when you actually hit the beat will make you appreciate drumming even more.

4. Drum in the middle of the night and play the loudest you can and see what the neighbors have to say about it the next morning.

*Do this at your own risk* My parents used to give me a drumming curfew of 10 PM, but as a rebel, I would stretch it to 11 or sometimes even 12. One time, it woke up my neighbors and instead of getting mad, they actually said that the muffled beats lulled them to sleep!

5. Listen to a Def Leppard song without drumming your fingers or tapping your feet.

I’m kidding—that would be unfair. Although, if you need drumming inspiration, just listen to their drummer, Rick Allen, single-handedly slay.

6. Participate in a drum circle.

They are life changing. No more words.

7. Play so hard that your drumsticks break.

Then, give them a majestic funeral, inviting all your family members around to give it a proper burial service. As a kid, I believed in the philosophy which stated, "drumming is meant to be heard by the neighbors." Six years and countless broken drumsticks later, I have learned that less is always more.

8. Start a band and just go with it.

Find a couple of musically-inclined friends to jam with and fulfill the garage band stereotype. As a bonus, practice will almost always be in your house, because drum-sets are not very portable anyways. As an eager fifth-grader, I tried this out with a friend of mine who sang and played the guitar. Long story short, we had ticket prices for a gig we never booked.

9. Try playing a different instrument (preferably percussion) and explore it and learn to love it.

A few years ago, I started playing the tabla, another percussion instrument, and completely fell in love with it. Playing another instrument broadens your range and gives you crucial skills that supplement your drumming.

Playing the drums has changed my life dramatically, and it lead me to another world of music. After playing the drums, I am more focused on my work because just listening to music is a great stress reliever. Drumming is an incredible experience, and at the end of the day, it is important to just have fun with it.