Do Millennials Believe In Soul Mates?

Do Millennials Believe In Soul Mates?

Does the generation with the oldest median age to get married believe in predestined relationships?
291

Oxford Dictionary defines soulmates as "A person ideally suited to another as a close friend or romantic partner." But can you really put a textbook definition to such a strong word? Looking deeper, I tried to find the beginnings of the name, before the poems and the music preaching about pre-destined relationships and "the one."

According to greekmythology.com, "The concepts of soulmates arose from Hellenic mythology. According to the story, our ancestors once had 2 heads, 4 arms. They did something to offend a god so that god punished them by splitting them down the middle, resulting in the creation of humans. As a punishment, we are condemned to spend our lives searching for the other half, our soulmates."

But do millennials believe in this notion? Millennials have the highest median age for marriage compared to every other generation. (For women the median age is 27 for marriage and the median for men is 29.) Do millennial's believe the history and destiny tied to the words "soul mate?"

Here is what 17 millennials had to say when I asked them what they thought of these 2 words.

1. "I think soul mates exist, but I don't think they're necessarily romantic. Everyone meets their soul mate, but you may not realize it because you're too busy looking for perfection elsewhere."
- Grace. 19

2. "In the Bible, there is not a verse that specifically states that each person has one soul mate, but I do believe that God guides us in all areas of our lives. Especially our romantic relationships."
- Jen. 22

3. "Yes, I believe in soul mates. Mostly, kindred spirits. It doesn't have to be a romantic thing."
- Jose. 19

4. "I do not believe in soul mates. I believe that there is most definitely a reason that we end up with the person we marry, but I don't think there is just one person out there for everyone. There are many emotional ties that you may only feel for one person, but I don't think that necessarily makes them your soul mate."
- Shannon. 20

5. "I don’t believe in soul mates, but I do believe that God puts people in your life for a reason."
- Makena. 19

6. "From a gospel-centered view, I believe in soul mates functionally but not practically. God has planned who I am going to marry, but it is not my business to figure it out prior to meeting her at the altar."
- Tyler. 22

7. "I believe that we all have soul mates; one person that we are meant to love for our lifetime. Meaning that no matter how long or short there is one person destined for us all and we only will have the pleasure of meeting them if we work hard to make all relationships worthwhile. This, in theory, sounds so easy, but I believe that relationships take work so it is something that requires effort and does not just happen on its own."
- Lauren. 19

8. "I don't believe in soul mates. I don't think that relationships are predestined, they need work and communication to thrive."
- Jake. 20

9. "I think soul-mates are real, they're that someone who you never dread seeing. It doesn't have to be romantic, you just click with that person."
- Kenzie. 16

10. "I don’t believe in soul mates soul mates, but I believe that God has a certain person picked out for us that we are meant to be with. And through Him, He will lead us to cross paths and everything will click."
- Lily. 19

11. "I do believe in soul mates but with a twist. I believe that there are a select few that could potentially be a soul mate. I believe that who we choose to marry is directed by God."
- Andrew. 20

12. "I don't believe in soul mates, I believe you can find someone you mesh with."
- Larsa. 21

13. "No. If you find someone who lines up with your core values, it could be anyone.
- Kyle. 20.

14. "I do believe that soul mates are real. A soul mate is a person that God intended you to be with. The person who is undeniably the one that your heart longs for."
- Rosalie. 18

15. "I don't necessarily believe in soulmates. I believe I have control over who I end up with, within the word of the God."
- Brandon. 22

16. "No, I do not. I think that there are several people that you could happily spend your life with entirely in love. However, I think that once you find someone who is right for you, your love can last forever."
- Mackenzie. 20

17. "I, being the hopeless romantic and cynic all in one, still believe in soul mates. I've always believed that there is someone out there in the world that a person belongs with. Now, I don't think it's some love at first sight type stuff and that it'll be perfect with zero ups and downs. I think it's a matter of being with a person who compliments you in every way but also pushes you to be better than you were the day before. Sometimes your soul mate turns out to be a person you just met or it's a person you've been friends with your entire life. Who knows. I think that's the only crappy part- you never really know for sure."
- Maribel. 19