5 Reasons Why Us Millennials Should Get Involved In Politics, ASAP

Millennials tend to avoid involvement in the political system, but there are actually several reasons for them to engage.

347
pixabay

Millennials have not been as active in the political system as they should be. Either they don’t know much about it or they simply don’t care. Unfortunately, we live in a society where politics dominate the majority of our everyday lives and actions.

In the era of Trump, it is important for everyone, particularly millennials, to educate themselves on current issues and get involved in the political system in as many ways as possible.

Here are five reasons why more of us millennials should get involved in politics:

1. Every vote, and I mean EVERY vote, matters.

We saw how close the 2016 Presidential Election was between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. Clinton won the popular vote by nearly 2.9 million votes but lost the electoral college.

If more millennials would have gone to the polls and cast a vote, the results possibly could have been reversed. Donald Trump could have won by a larger number or Hillary Clinton could have become 45.

No matter your personal beliefs on Hillary Clinton, this is a concrete example of what millennials avoiding the polls can do to alter the results of an election.

Seriously people, wake up. We have the power to make some changes here.

2. Millennials now outnumber baby boomers by several million.

According to 2015 U.S. Census Bureau statistics, millennials now outnumber baby boomers at 83 million to 75 million. Though it may be a little depressing to think about, millennials will soon completely outnumber the baby boomer generation.

Though we love baby boomers dearly, the number of voting-eligible millennials shows that our votes make a real impact. We ARE the future, and it's time for us to start enacting change.

3. Millennials are now eligible to become public servants.

Those of us born between the years of 1982 and 2000 are slowly but surely becoming public servants. Whether it be in mayoral, state legislative, gubernatorial or congressional positions, we are beginning to assume leadership roles in our society.

If we get out there and run for office or back millennial candidates running for office, we can spread our views, liberal or conservative.

4. Millennials primarily identify their political party as “independent."

According to a 2016 Pew study, nearly 41 percent of millennials identify politically as independent. This shows that millennials are much more unsure of their political affiliation than older generations such as the baby boomers and Generation X.

Us millennials are also more likely to be open-minded and accepting when it comes to certain issues.

5. Millennials are an ethnically diverse and open-minded generation.

Another Pew study from 2010 found that millennials have multiple modes of self-expression.

We take advantage of technology and establish social media profiles. We tend to make judgments based on what we believe is right rather than conceding to traditional ideological beliefs.

Our generation is frustrated, fed up with and seeking to reform the institutions in our democratic government.

We are more ethnically diverse, less religious and more highly educated than any other previous generation.

We have the tools that we need to get involved, and it is time that we use them!

There are so many different ways for us to become politically engaged. The first is simply registering to vote.

Technology makes it super easy for us to access our local election board websites and register from the comfort of our own homes.

Once you have registered, go out and VOTE, VOTE, VOTE!

Every. Vote. Matters.

Get involved in a campaign. Visit the website of a campaign that interests you and sign up to receive e-mail updates from the staff. By signing up, you can be added to the list of potential campaign volunteers.

Write to your mayor, your city councilperson, your congressperson, your Senator and even the president to encourage them to seek change for an issue that you are passionate about.

It is 2018, and it is time for millennials to start getting involved. Be loud. Be proud.