Millennials From A Millennial

Millennials From A Millennial

Exploring the infamous word

439
Millennials From A Millennial
Pulpdiddy's Place

“Millennials will love this...”

“You know you’re a millennial if…”

And yet,

“The problem with millennials”

“Millennials don’t have real struggles”

See a common denominator here? The word: millennials.

When I first heard of it, I thought it was a cool word to describe our very own generation: aka, those of us born between 1992 and 2000 (if you don’t remember HSM being a priority over existing, gtfo). I would use it to describe ourselves as a new generation of young people making a change, getting ready to form something in the world.

I loved seeing the term in Buzzfeed articles, especially the ones that would bring up old tv shows, cartoons, and even the random games online that I thought I was the only one that played (you know the ones on the N where you could mix and match relationships, or even Avatar U.) I felt special; like I belonged to something that not many other age groups could bask in the glory of.

But then, I started to see articles from older audiences complaining about this newfound glorious term to me and my identity. They complained on how we take everything for granted and how we don’t understand how hard it was “back in the day”. Though I do agree that all generations of people had it rough, I think there’s also a reason as to why the older generation sees us this way.

Famous examples of millennials are the ones that give us this stereotypical aura. Though we love them, the antics of celebrities like Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus provide significantly deviant examples of horrible millennial behavior, compared to the acts of various positive acts of not only celebrities, but normal people in our generation.

So, in the end, in response to our “elders”, and our guardians, yes, we are millennials. We were raised with technology, a sense of deservedness, and yet, a sense of aspiration. We want to be the best. We want to achieve the most. Even though we may not go along with your definition of hardworking, trust me, we’re all meant for great things in our upcoming future.