Millennial Faces Of The Election: University Of Utah Edition

Election Day thoughts from University of Utah students.

11
Edgar Zuniga Jr. / Flickr

There is no question that this has been a tumultuous election. Many families and friends have been pitted against each other due to opposing viewpoints. Some people have even decided to sit this election out to avoid “taking a side” in the controversy. However, with three-hour wait times at certain polling stations, such as the Gould Auditorium at the Marriott Library, it seems like more students than ever are got out and voted this year. The college-aged vote has been decreasing over the last few years with the 2014 federal election having the lowest turnout rate for young voters ever recorded. This is a huge deal for the United States since roughly 21.6 percent of the population is aged 18-29, according to statistics from the 2015 American Community Survey (ACS). Having every one of those voices heard would make a monumental difference and gives us something to aspire to in future years. To get a sense of what has been going through the minds of my peers, I walked around campus on Election Day to ask my peers for their thoughts.

Trinidad (she/they), 18, Chemical Engineering

“We need to do whatever we can to prevent a trump presidency.”

Carly (she/her), 18, Nursing

“Be smart, America.”

Mitch (he/him), 22, Kinesiology

“Is this a big enough wake up call for you?”

Catherine (she/her), 20, Biology

“I hope everyone else made the right choice #ImNotWithHim”

Tarek (he/him), 23, Biology

“Go for what you value most in the potential upcoming president.”

Tanner (he/him), 22, Kinesiology

“Interesting election… Seems kind of like a joke. Media has portrayed a lot of negativity and hatred. WikiLeaks has done a great amount for the final outcome. Make America Great Again!”

Daniel (he/him), 22, Health Promotion and Education

“This is my first time voting. I barely got my citizenship last year. I was an undocumented resident that came from Mexico. It is nice to be able to have a say in this election. Hopefully, my other fellow immigrants who have been given this right take up this great opportunity. Hillary 2016!”

Pace (he/they/friend/human), 22, Peace and Conflict Studies

“Progress is on the ballot under HRC. The reason we claim the title “progressive” is we will do what it takes to move forward, staying stagnant is digression. We vote for progress for ALL Americans. It’s 2016!”

Cassie (she/her), 25, Chemical Engineering

“I think the election this year is a bit of a joke. Mostly due to Donald Trump. Seriously, he has made the whole thing a farce. People need to stop apologizing for who they are voting for. This is America and one of the beautiful things is that we are all entitled to our opinions. I’m voting for Hillary, and I’m not even going to say sorry or nod my head in agreement when someone gives a disclaimer like 'they both suck.' That’s part of the problem. People apologizing for what they believe in.”

Juliet (she/her), 22

“This election has been one of the weirdest ones I’ve seen. It has been a joke. I wish there were more candidates who were actually qualified for the job.”

Jae (they, them), 22, English and Anthropology

“The presidential election is such a joke this election but voting for local politicians is really important!”

Hop (he/him), 18, Human Development and Family Studies

“Why did we have to let Bernie go?”

Alexis (she/her), 19, English

“I’m unsure and anxious about the United States’ future.”

Tom (he/him), 19, Economics and Mathematics

“It’s really sad that the first election I’m voting in isn’t one where I’m voting FOR someone, I’m voting AGAINST someone. Trump just doesn’t represent the Republican values I believe in.”

Jordan (he/him), 18, Pre-Business

“Trump all the way!”

Ibrahim (he/him), 23, International Studies and Chinese

“I find this election to be interesting. I can’t believe we as Americans let them get this far. I can say either way the election goes, history is made!”