13 Disney Movies Millennials Grew Up Watching That Could Teach Gen Z A Thing Or Two

Gen Z better catch up quick because these movies are more important than they appear.

1415
@zoelaz/Instagram

Millennials were raised on Disney. Disney movies shaped who we are in more ways than we realize. Unfortunately, the staple Disney movies that Millennials grew up on are just not as popular with Gen Z, and it's honestly a pity. Here are some Disney movies that Gen Z is really missing out on and they should probably watch to learn a few things about the world.

1. "Mulan"

"Mulan" is such a classic millennial Disney movie. It came out in '98, which means most of us probably saw it in the theatres. I, for one, was absolutely obsessed with this movie. I rewatched it the other day and realized that it's not only pretty funny, but it also shows how girls can do anything they set their mind to.

2. "Pocahontas"

"Pocahontas" is another millennial classic, although slightly underrated in my opinion. This movie is basically the same as "Romeo and Juliet," "West Side Story," and "Avatar," but it's an animated Disney movie. "Pocahontas" taught us to learn about others before we try to judge them in addition to taking care of our planet.

3. "Toy Story" (1, 2, and 3)

Are you a really a millennial if you didn't watch "Toy Story?" These movies taught us the importance of friendship-- hence the classic song, "You've Got A Friend In Me."

4. "Beauty and the Beast"

Gen Z may get their "Beauty and the Beast" fix from the live action film with Emma Watson, but the classic is a classic for a reason. There's something just nostalgic and comforting about animated Disney movies and this one teaches us that 1. intelligence is attractive and 2. you should never judge a book by its cover.

5. "Lilo and Stitch "

Cue "Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride" because it's summertime and "Lilo and Stitch" is the cutest. If you're a millennial, you know that "'Ohana' means family, and family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten."

6. "Bridge to Terabithia"

While not quite as popular as the other movies on this list, "Bridge to Terabithia" is a great story that taught millennials the importance of friendship and imagination. It is also quite the tear-jerker.

7. "Lion King"

"Lion King" is honestly packed with important life lessons. It taught millennials that in order to be a leader, you need to put others second. Additionally, it taught us that we need to face our fears, yet some things in life aren't worth stressing over... "Hakuna Matata" right?

8. "The Parent Trap"

Millennial girls played this classic Lindsay Lohan flick at many a sleepover, so it's no wonder we're a bunch of hopeless romantics at heart. "The Parent Trap" showed us that love conquers all.

9. "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"

"The Hunchback of Notre Dame" wasn't as popular as others, but it was full of good life lessons, despite the overall dark premise of the movie that we were oblivious to as children. This movie taught us that it's important to stick to our morals, even if it means going against authority. We learned that we should do the right thing, even if it's hard or even dangerous.

10. "Tarzan"

I vividly remember seeing "Tarzan" in the movie theatre and arriving 10 minutes into the start of the movie. Anyways, "Tarzan" is a great Disney film that taught millennials that differences are only skin deep and deep down people have a lot more in common than they may think, even if they're from different cultures. Heck, Tarzan's mom raised him as her own even though she was a gorilla.

11. "The Cheetah Girls"

Of course, a Disney Channel Original Movie made this list. Pretty much every millennial grew up on DCOMS. There's one particular line from their hit song, "Cheetah Sisters" that pretty much summarizes everything that "The Cheetah Girls" taught millennials.

We are sisters
We stand together
We make up one big family though we don't look the same
Our spots are different
Different colors
We make each other stronger
That ain't ever gonna change

12. "The Princess Diaries" (1 and 2)

"The Princess Diaries" movies are another staple for millennial girls. They taught us that we should always follow our heart, have confidence in our abilities, and that we are never too important to be kind to others. They also reminded us that it's OK to be a little awkward because even Princess Mia is clumsy and weird.

13. "Up"

To finish off this list, "Up" is another wonderful Disney movie that millennials know and love. "Up" taught us to never lose our sense of adventure, no matter how old we get, and treasure every moment we have with our loved ones.

These movies were a quintessential part of millennials' childhood, and Gen Z better catch up quick because these movies are more important than they appear.