7 Things I Wish I'd Known Before I Fell For A Military Man

Many of these relationships are fast paced and require distance and moving.

241

Every relationship is different, but dating a military guy is pretty different. Many of these relationships are fast paced and require distance and moving. These relationships aren't impossible, though they aren't for everyone. Over the past year and a half, there are some things I wish I had known when I first started dating a military guy and I wish for others who are starting to date a military guy to know, too!

1. There's not much you can do when they complain about their job.

You'll learn that in the military, they have to do what they're told. They'll get yelled at for something they may not even do and get calls in the middle of the night to make sure something was done on their shift. There's going to be complaining and a lot of stress, but unfortunately, there's not a whole lot you can do. Honestly, there's not a whole lot they can do either.

2. At first, their job may seem like a lot, but you'll catch on.

When I first started dating my boyfriend, he was throwing around words like, 'lance corporal,' 'PFT,' or 'master guns' and he kept saying 'F-35' a lot. I had no clue what half of that meant. But after a while (and some researching), I eventually was able to keep up.

3. You may compare yourself to other military couples.

Most of my boyfriend's friends are married and some even have kids. It's easy to get caught up comparing your relationship to the ones around you. Just remember each relationship - military or not - is different.

4. You may feel a little left out.

Again, a lot of my boyfriend's friends are married. Obviously, it's different when you're dating than when you're married. You don't get all the 'perks' and you may not understand all the military 'lingo' just yet.

5. Seek out the positive.

Your attitude is everything and that's why you have to keep a positive attitude. Being away from each other or family can be very difficult, but you have to find the positives in every situation.

6. Get used to changing schedules.

Since I've started dating a military guy, he's been on three different shifts in a little less than a year. It's a little crazy and can cause some stress for your S.O. before they're able to adjust.

7. Continue to seek your own goals and dreams.

This is the most important advice I can give. Being with someone in the military can be overwhelming, but just because your significant other's goals and aspirations may overshadow yours just a little, doesn't mean your own are put on hold. You can continue to go to school or find the job of your dreams. There are always ways around the distance and moving for you to reach your own goals.